Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swimming In Triathlon
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2016
ScoopUK

I'm interested in a solution to this too. I am swimming faster in the pool but not much faster in open water with a wetsuit on. As I don't do any pool races and am predominantly a multi-sport weekend warrior this is a problem. I am getting out the water much fresher now though.

At a recent aquathlon I used a 6 beat kick a few times towards the end of the swim to wake the legs up ready for the run and could feel my feet slapping the surface of the water.

I notice with the wetsuit on (Huub Aerious 2 3:5) I feel like when I keep a patient lead arm and TI timing I'm almost pushed into a dive, like a submarine submerging so I end up shortening my stroke and not being so 'catch up' like in timing. Also the cold water and race situation makes it harder for me to stay calm. I tried using my tempo trainer for this race but it felt too slow so I turned it off after a minute or two. What was good in the pool didn't suit suited in the lake.

Before you say 'swim sans wetsuit' that's not really an option for me. Getting out of cold water and straight into a run doesn't really work.

Is there any recommendations to modify the stroke for wetsuit swim. I have plenty of flexibility in the suit so that's not the problem, it's the balance issues.
Old 06-10-2016

s.sciame

wow, too much balance, it's incredible what these wetsuits do, they should be forbidden

Anyway, the first advice that comes to my mind: you could try to play with head position to compensate for your too downhill position. What happens if you look forward instead of down? Are you more level this way? Moreover looking forward could help you in open water, you're more aware of what's going on around you.

Salvo

PS: is it allowed to use a Tempo Trainer in a race?
Old 06-10-2016
ScoopUK

I did start looking further forward instead of down. The water was murky and dark so looking down you really can't see anything. Looking forward slightly meant I could see my hands in my peripheral vision and the feet of other people.

Yeah TT is legal in a race, not that it was any use to be honest.

It's funny really, it's almost not swimming. It's a different art altogether. With the suit maintaining your position you could almost be just stroking like a maniac as if pulling yourself along a submerged ladder. I guess that's why the ITU triathletes swim the way they do, windmilling their way around the swim course.
Old 06-10-2016
ScoopUK

... it really boosts my breaststroke though. Because it lifts the legs up so much I can get a nice glide without the legs sinking. Also because it tends to tip you forwards it helps drive you forward on the recovery.