Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swimming In Triathlon
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne
Default 1000 yd Time Trial tips

We don't prescribe a lot of these long sets in most Ti practices, but there does come a time when you need to be confident in your ability to do it...swim 1000 (or more) yards continuously and at a good pace. This confidence comes with experience, not simply with swimming long sets without focus.

I made this quick video (6 minutes) for one of my athletes who expressed frustration with the results & execution of a 1000 yard time trial in the pool.

Instead of writing him a long email, I figured I would put it in a video. There area lot of mental skills involved with executing training time trials that can translates to better testing times as well as better race day execution.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oMW...ature=youtu.be
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 05-09-2014

dprevish

Coach Suzanne,

Really interesting. I especially can relate to the ability to be careful about trying to push to the point of little return. Right now I can hold my "better" practiced form for about 100 yds at what I would target as my race pace. After that I go back to the old swim pattern. I think a lot has to do with the breathing, which I'm working on.
But there is a point where I feel the turbulence and effort increase and know that I'm slowing and probably re-embedding bad form.

PS: I was born and raised in Zelienople, not to many people know where that is, but I bet you do.
Old 05-10-2014

Raini

I'm going to listen to this clip again over the next few weeks so I can remind myself of what you have said. I can relate to your experience of achieving something you hadn't planned for.For instance I went from swimming one mile to two not because it was a goal but simply because I felt I could carry on at that time.
At the moment I know I can swim at a good pace but like dprevish there comes a point where I know I'm creating turbulence and getting fatigued through effort so I just stop. Next time I will ease up instead.
Although I'm not and athlete or doing time trials this has given me something else to work on.
Old 05-13-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Dave,

Yes, I do know where Zelienople is! Us Western Pennsylginians are good peeps. Breathing is a great place to focus so that you can extend your swimming abilities effortlessly.

Raini, glad you can relate! Let me know how things go over the next few weeks.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 06-27-2014

andrewuza

Just watched the video and I thought it had some great tips. The reocurring theme that I was hearing is relax and stay smooth. Great advice and always a good reminder.

You are right though.... If I look at a workout that includes a 1,000 yard time trial I do get more worked up because it's a "test" and I don't like doing poorly on tests.

I also agree that the harder you work the slower you go. I recently experienced this in the pool this week. A guy in the lane next to me did not like it when I passed him during my regular set and would speed up by thrashing his legs and arms even harder. Sure he would pull away for just a little while, but I would eventually catch him / pass him and an continue on. Especially when he was gassed out hanging on to the end of the pool.

Smooth is Fast.