Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011

Aquamillie
Default Swimmin newbie :)

After years and years (and I mean decades!) of not being able to swim and being unwilling to put my head under water because water went up my nose, I finally decided this is the year I would learn to swim.

I enrolled in lessons (not TI, I live in Australia) and am now comfortable with putting my head under the water and doing something for short bursts that mildly resembles swimming.

I am up to lesson 6 and while I enjoy the classes and am progressing slowly I am not being given much in the way of drills to help with balance, breathing etc. Because of this I took matters into my own owns and bought Total Immersion - The Revolutionary Way to Swim Better, Faster, and Easier. It was the only TI book in the book store but now I am wondering whether I bought the right book for where I am at?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2011

Aquamillie
Default ooops that should have read "Swimming Newbie :)"

ooops that should have read "Swimming Newbie :)"
Old 02-24-2011

Richardsk

Hi Aquamillie

The book you have expounds the TI approach to swimming as it was a few years ago and other books have appeared since. I think it is my favorite book on swimming of all time and the main reason why I can now swim a fairly respectable front crawl after many decades of feeling that it would elude me forever. I can now swim a fairly decent back crawl as well and have hopes of soon being able to swim a butterfly that won't incur disqualification for failure to recover the arms above the water. All thanks to Terry Laughlin and Total Immersion.

I also have Extraordinary swimming for very body, which is still available through this site I believe, and has instructions for all four competitive strokes.

You would probably be best served by one or more of the DVDs available on this site, but don't discard your copy of Total Immersion. It's full of gems.
Old 02-26-2011

Aquamillie

Thank you. I managed to locate one of the DVDs and have already watched. Definetly helped!