Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Swim Your Way to Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2011

haschu33
Cool

Since the vote here clearly points to a nose clip I got myself one and went for a swim today. Yes, it feels as if something clips your nose... ;-)

I don't know how it looks like - I don't see myself anyway, so I don't care. With Aquasphere Kayman goggles you look like a tadpole anyway, and with the simple Swedish Goggles (which are an amazing blend of simplicity and functionality) plus a nose clip I probably look extremely cool. Maybe I better don't check it out...

I was surprised that you can actually still blow air out of the nose. And small bubbles of air came out of my nose on their own - quite funny. Mainly breathing (out) through the mouth is no problem.
Otherwise afterwards my nose symptoms were more than nothing, but quite close to no symptoms at all.
So it is not a big deal using the clip an I regard this case being solved and want to thank everybody for your support!

Hang on in there!
Old 01-31-2011

sterlingtimes

Whereas we are told that this is not an allergy, the symptoms for me are very similar to hay fever.

I have established that the problems are very much greater for me if I use the steam room provided at the fitness centre.

I am working on improving the situation. I think that very thorough showing and washing of ears and nose help. I then use Beclomethasone Nasal spray after showering and treat as I would for hay fever.
Old 02-02-2011

Mike from NS
Default same reaction for me.....

I too get the sinus blocked and sneeze a lot after swimming; and I blame the chlorine. I just take it as an expected part of the swimming process. Usually by the next day all is cleared up. There was a post perhaps a year ago where Rhoda suggested the use of a Neti pot to clear the sinus after swimming.

My nose is sensitive to exterior pressures so I will never go the nose clip route. My sinus is my weak spot and a bad cold heads straight for that I'm if not careful. Also, diving to the bottom of the deep brings on a sinus headache and puffy forehead. Efforts at learning flip turns have on most attempts brought the same headache. But not for vanity's sake do I avoid a nose clip, but rather for comfort's sake. ( If I were vane, I would only swim after dark and all alone ~~ and I know that's not a wise thing to do!)

Mike
Old 02-03-2011

sinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by haschu33 View Post

Does any of you experience the same, and, if yes, did you find any solution that worked?
And, does anyone have an explanation of what the reason is?

Thanks in advance
Experience after a swim dictates a solution. Depending on the discomfort involved, I take a Claritin tablet and/or use my Tepi Pot. These are effective for me. If I got no water up my nose during the swim, then no action is necessary.
Old 02-17-2011

Thatchman

I am blown away by the information and help on this site. I have been into Triathlon for just over a year now and attending TI swim coaching 3 times a week since August.

I seem to always have a runny nose and seem to have suffered more flu/cold symptoms over the past 4 months than I remember having in my entire 45 year existance.

I have also suffered with a bit of a lung pipe (bronchii) infection which my GP thinks is from some or other allegy.

Hours after I swim I often have water run/severly drip out of my nose so its definitely getting stuck in my sinuses somewhere.

I did see a possible connection of the chlorine to the chest thing but never to a runny nose and head cold type thing.

I will try a nose clip and see what happens.

Cannot see that it would make any diff to the lungs though as you still have to breath so will still get the gasses into your lungs and unfiltered.

I did a 2 mile OW race on Saturday. Tues at 2am i woke up with a severe runny nose, sneazing etc and have had a bad cold since.

Thanks for all the info

Tri is fantastic but with continous colds, numb fingers from Cycling and groin and hamstring strains I am starting to feel like a hypochondriac
Old 02-20-2011

jeetkevdo

I had been suffering from some an extreme runny nose recently, and thought I was experiencing some kind of allergic reaction. Found this thread... bought a nose clip, and have minimized my symptoms... my nose thanks you!

Still not real comfortable with the nose clip, but it's getting better.

Any recommendations regarding nose clips... best model clip, etc?
Old 04-03-2011

Tuco
Default chlorine connection?

I get similar symptoms after about 60% of my swims. Strangely, I might get runny nose and sneezes in a morning session, and nothing at a session later in the day.

But it doesn't seem to matter whether I swim in pool, ocean or lake, which makes me think it's not the chlorine (of course, this is only my experience).

Instead of a neti-pot, I've used a simple syringe and a saline solution to flush out the sinuses -- much cheaper, & as effective. I think this has helped as preventative to infections, but often results in a heavy sneezing bout.

I should probably get a nose clip, but I've learned to live with it now
Old 04-03-2011

The Parrot

Hi, I have had this problem for more than 4 years. I do use a nose clip but perhaps I have a big nose because the chlorinated water always gets past. Also finds its way down the Eustachian tubes because it always gets into goggles, too. I have found that putting some Vaseline (petroleum jelly) into each nostril before and after swim session does cut the inflammation down. Still doesn't get rid of it but it doesn't seem to last as long. I don't seem to have the same problem in the sea so I'm sure its the horrible chemicals. The person who can find a solution other than stopping swimming will make a fortune?
Old 11-07-2011

AlMalika

Sorry, that reply is late but here it is!! I always had this problem. People frequently asked me: "you got a cold?" I said: "No, I went swimming". It's a terrible thing lasting to the afternoon of the following day.

I tried a nose clip but that doesn't work very well. Recently I read in a German swimmer's forum that this would help: After your swim immediately rinse your nose with shower water for a minute or so. On Saturday I did - and - it worked. If you don't feel comfortable wearing a nose clip try this.

Well I hope I could help YOU after all your advice you gave ME.

Petra
Old 11-07-2011

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMalika View Post
... After your swim immediately rinse your nose with shower water for a minute or so. ...
What do you mean? How do you rinse your nose? Just sucking the water up the nose until it runs through your mouth (arrrgghhhhhh) ???

BTW I swam in a lake in France this summer - no problem. In the chlorinated pool - yes. It is clearly related to rotating my head. If I swim freestyle without breathing there is no problem. Turning the head to breathe in freestyle, there it starts. Doing drills and rotating to sweet spot - it gets really bad. It also does that with a nose clip, it's just a lost less.
Recently I was in a scanner and had some pictures taken of my brain. They diagnosed a mild sinusitis, there was a little liquid in the sinuses. But I don't have any symptoms except when swimming.
So I don't know what is the cause - the sinusitis causing those symptoms with the help of chlorinated water, or the water causing a sinusitis.