Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2018
gallootjs

Default 2 beat kick drills

Hello,

I've found that my kick mechanics are the weakest part of my stroke. In particular, I find that most of the time my legs are simply actively streamlining and not truly getting engaged in the stroke. When I actively include the kick in my stroke most of the time it feels forced, and not at all like a natural motion.

I've gone over the 2B kick chapter in Terry's Mastery book, but I still struggle getting my kick right. Can anyone suggest a series of drills that can imprint proper kick mechanics?
Old 06-01-2018
Coach

CoachBobM

One way to get a feeling for a 2-beat kick is to stand and rotate your body about the axis of your spine while keeping your feet in the same position on the floor. The motion of your legs relative to your body when you do this is very similar to the motion they should be making relative to your core body rotation when you are doing a 2-beat kick in the water.

Another thing you can do, if you have access to water that is over your head, is to do vertical kicking while rotating your body about the axis of your spine, first in one direction and then in the other. If you can eliminate all kicks except the ones that are rotating your body, you will be doing a 2-beat kick.

One of the things people sometimes do that helps them get the feel of a 2-beat kick is to try to swim without kicking. It is virtually impossible to really do this (i.e., not kick), so they end up doing a 2-beat kick.

Bob
Old 06-01-2018

daveblt

A good 2 beat kick also comes from good balance . I think it is easier, at least for me, to think of the upbeat in the back of my mind when I swim more so than the downbeat . When I reach forward and stretch into the spear (with pinky angled slightly down, I had to mention), I think about getting my leg on the same side to just naturally float up and with also a slight stretch out through my toes .That also keeps the body long .Then as I pull body motion assists the downbeat and then vice versa.I also like to keep my legs fairly close together to receive natural body motions and so they also don't splay out with a mind of their own.

Dave
Old 06-01-2018

bx

Are your glutes slightly engaged (all the time whilst swimming)?

If not, your kick impulse won't travel up your body.
Or, if you do "inside-out" swimming and use your hips to generate the kick,
the hip energy won't travel down to your legs.

ADDENDUM

Great article on 2bk by Terry. His advice lives on :)
https://outdoorswimmer.com/guides/ma...-two-beat-kick

And this is worth reposting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72vWHxvn6c

Last edited by bx : 06-01-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2018

Tom Pamperin

Swimming with long fins really helped me get the feel of the two-beat kick.

50m with two fins, 50m with right fin only, 50m left fin only, 50m both fins. Kick gently, arms outstretched in front of you for 10m, then slowly start full stroke swimming. You'll start to really feel the kick originating from the hip.

It's the only thing I'd use fins for, but it really helped me.
Old 06-02-2018
gallootjs

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have long fins, which I bought for my kick. I’ll report on my progress next week.
Old 06-03-2018
gallootjs

I almost forgot to ask one more question. I’ve taken lessons from TI coaches who say the kick initiates the rotation. Is that how you all see it? Terry’s description implies a core generated kick.
Old 06-03-2018
Coach

CoachDavidShen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallootjs View Post
I almost forgot to ask one more question. I’ve taken lessons from TI coaches who say the kick initiates the rotation. Is that how you all see it? Terry’s description implies a core generated kick.
Without knowing the context in which those TI coaches taught you, I'll answer with this perspective. Generally when the recovering arm has reached the entry point at the head, you'll need to be rotating a little bit in order for the hand to enter the water. But you can't be kicking then because it will likely be too early to generate max propulsive power forward.

Some time when the hand/wrist has already crossed the surface line is when you should be kicking. Your body will be rotating with the hand and adding energy to the spear's energy forward. Then with a coordinated flick of the foot along with hip drive, you'll be send that spear forward with even more power.

If the hand/arm is moving independent of the body, say it starts dipping into the water while the body is held behind in its angled Skate position, it loses its connection with the body and it's all arm. At the moment it moves into the water and your body is behind it, then the body's energy is adding to its energy forward.

A cue I learned from Terry a while back was "Use the flick of the foot to send the spear on its way." So the hand starts dropping into the water and is beginning its spear, then the flick of the foot shoots the arm forward even more.

Try playing with the timing of when you kick. Try it before the hand drops into the water, all the way until you are almost flat and the hand is already partly in spear. See where you get the most energy shot forward.
Menloswim.com
Menlo Park, CA
https://www.coachdshen.com/blog/
Old 06-03-2018

novaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post

A cue I learned from Terry a while back was "Use the flick of the foot to send the spear on its way." So the hand starts dropping into the water and is beginning its spear, then the flick of the foot shoots the arm forward even more.

This is the kick timing I've been working on lately. Just after my spearing arm has entered the water, my opposite leg kicks downward, assisting and completing the rotation.
Old 06-08-2018

WFEGb

Hello gallotjs,

Mandy's demo is worth a look too ...

Best regards,
Werner