Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2018

Rajan
Default Skate Position During Recovery

Hello,

I need advise on the following please.

(I was told by a member of this forum that in swimming there is no time when you are not rolling. )

Contrast to above statement, I had practiced to remain in the skate position after start of recovery until hand dips in water. During this period (ie. from start of recovery to reaching at mail slot and hand dips) I do not role and it gives me feeling that I am not moving forward and my head and neck also get tensed.

When I followed the above member's advice - I mean after recovery I allowed hip to move forward, I felt an easiness in neck. But still in doubt which method to follow - To role forward during start of recovery - when elbow starts moves forward - or not. Or should I stick to my previous practice.

Please advise the right method to follow.

Regards

Rajan
Old 05-02-2018

IngeA

I'm not really an expert, but I think the rolling movement is not directly connected to the recovery but to the stroking arm. It's the rolling that leads to a high elbow in the stoke and also that activates the core muscles for the stroke.
So where your recovery arm is when rolling depends on how early you begin with the stroke. If you begin stroking when the other arm is spearing you stay in skating position during the recovery. If you begin a bit earlier with your stroke, the body also rolls earlier.

Best regards
Inge
Old 05-02-2018
Coach

CoachBobM

I agree with Inge. The main function of the rotation of your core body about the axis of your spine is to help power your armstroke, so you should initiate it in conjunction with the beginning of your catch.

What is true is that there should be no time when some part of your body is not moving. While you want a patient leading arm, your other arm should begin its recovery as soon as it reaches your hip.

Bob
Old 05-02-2018
Mushroomfloat

I keep the lead arm extended gliding in skate whilst i recover the other arm but as the recovering arm is nearing the shoulder the underwater arm begins to drop lower (using pressure from high side arm) then at the instant point of counter rotation beginning the underwater arm hooks the water & flips over from pinke down to thumb down into a strong anchor / hold
then recovery arm plunges in futher out and i vault over the anchored arm

So catch happens with rotation but there is a drop under its own weight feleling for thick water from about half way into the recovery.

Its like a corkscrew,

The hook / catch is somewhere about my jaw level when it lock on
Old 05-02-2018
Mushroomfloat

so i get the thick water "hook" in a pinke slightly down orientation then the arm flips with rotation whilst im "hooked"
so it goes from pinkie down elbow under to thump down elbow up

the angle od the hamd is about 30degrees in both orientations (pinkie down to thumb down)
Old 05-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

Im not interested in pulling only creating something to hold & push back upon
Old 05-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

if you skate on that locked in edge its a series of flips from one edge to the other with some rapid speed and distance between each

the trick is to hit the next spear before the glide runs out of steam and keep those tiles whizzing by at the same velocity not a stop go surge
this is where the work and awareness is.
Old 05-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

i use a pinke out 45 deg away from te body exit with a semi straight arm recovery for the momentum
like a butterfly exit
Old 05-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

thats my weird stroke but it works for me, a kind of hybrid TI / KPN stroke
Old 05-03-2018
Mushroomfloat

If anyone doesnt get what i mean watch here:

https://youtu.be/e24vIP-3b3w

CoachDshen makes reference to this in his recent semi straight arm recoery video