Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2018

Tom Pamperin
Default Sighting in Open Water

What works?

I have been doing this (I think):

stroke-stroke-stroke + turn head to side to breathe (bilateral rhythm)

Then:

stroke with head down-stroke while lifting head until goggles are out of water to sight-stroke + turn head to side to breathe (same bilateral rhythm)

Or should I be fitting in the sight AFTER the breath instead of before? This seems to be working ok now, but is it the best way?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2018
Coach

CoachBobM

Terry (who had far more experience with open water swimming than I do) did it the first way. If you look at this promo for the "Outside the Box" DVD and go 1:27 into it, you'll see him do one of his "sighting strokes".

Bob
Old 04-29-2018

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
Terry (who had far more experience with open water swimming than I do) did it the first way. If you look at this promo for the "Outside the Box" DVD and go 1:27 into it, you'll see him do one of his "sighting strokes".
Bob,

thanks for your reply. I think you are saying Terry used to (man, I hate typing that "used to") sight before breathing--did I understand you right? That's what I am doing now, just wasn't sure. Seems to work ok but I definitely will be working on this a lot since all my swimming is now in open water these days.
Old 04-29-2018
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hey Tom,

Really either pattern that you described is fine. Use the high-side arm to direct your eyes to the surface, and just the eyes on a single stroke. Here's a quick demo of sighting and breathing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfezAF1hPR4

Some more detailed tips on open water sighting from USMS: https://www.usms.org/fitness-and-tra...ing-efficiency

Stu
Old 04-29-2018

Tom Pamperin

Thanks for the links!
Old 05-06-2018

Tom Pamperin

Been doing a LOT of open water swimming, and sighting has sorted itself out with the mindful repetition. It doesn't seem to matter much whether I sight before or after breathing.

I think the biggest help for me was the advice to get your head back down right away, even before you realize what you saw. Then as you continue swimming, you can process the "snapshot" you took and adjust as needed. The interruption to the stroke is quite minimal that way.

Funny, I find I'm swimming much straighter in open water than I used to. Part of that might be improved technique or stroke symmetry, but the excellent visibility of the water (100' visibility is pretty standard) helps a lot. I can "track" my progress along the bottom even in 30-40' of water. Beats watching lane lines!
Old 05-07-2018

Danny

Tom, are you swimming in Lake Michigan with 100' sight? If so, that's amazing. What is the water temperature? I take it you're using a wet suit.
Old 05-07-2018

Tom Pamperin

Oh, no--no way I'm tough enough to swim Lake Michigan in May! It's too cold for me (sans wetsuit) even in midsummer.

I recently took a teaching job in the Marshall Islands, and am now living just 8 degrees north of the equator, way out in the middle of the Pacific, during the school year. Ocean temps here are about 80 F year-round, with amazing visibility. For a swimmer/sailor, it's a perfect place to live. I've been swimming about 1-2 hours every day, sometimes around the lagoon, sometimes down to the next island and back--was out this evening and swam with a sea turtle. I've seen plenty of sharks, too (non-aggressive ones, they're pretty shy, actually). Pretty cool. And the salt water makes everything easier, with more buoyancy and thicker water to press against.

I do NOT miss the pool...
Old 05-08-2018

Danny

Wow! Sounds like a dream job! Extremely different life style from anything I've ever experienced, I'm sure. Are you getting exposed to Marshallese at all? How wide spread is it where you are?
Old 05-09-2018

Tom Pamperin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Wow! Sounds like a dream job! Extremely different life style from anything I've ever experienced, I'm sure. Are you getting exposed to Marshallese at all? How wide spread is it where you are?
Danny,

the island I'm on is leased by the U.S. but the school has about 20% Marshallese students, and many of the workers here are Marshallese commute from a nearby island via ferry. I'm having my students teach me a little bit of Marshallese every day as far as language goes (e.g. "Ijaje kajin majol" = "I don't speak Marshallese" and "Ejeet am mour" = "How are you doing?" and of course "Yokwe" = "Welcome" and/or "Hello.") Not many of the U.S. workers seem to know much Marshallese at all, though.

I'm looking into getting connected with some of the traditional Marshallese sailing canoes eventually. Only been here a month, though, so my knowledge so far is pretty limited. Have you been to the Marshall Islands yourself? Not many people seem too familiar with them unless they have been here.