Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009

vizep
Default Rounding a buoy

Hi,
Has anybody advice on a a good way to swim around the marker buoys in a race.
I was in a race last week (very slow swimmer but love the OW) drafting behind a swimmer normally quicker than me and keeping up easily (use every advantage you can). When we came to the first turn buoy I rounded it looked up he was 10 yards ahaed and I could'nt make the distance back to continue drafting. It just took me an age to get around the buoy.

Paul
Old 09-01-2009

ynotcat

Go to TI home page and watch the trailer for the "Out of the Box" video. Near the end at 2:50 there is a brief shot of one way to round a buoy. It is easier than it looks, especially if you practice it a bit before your next race.
Old 09-10-2009

pinguin

I looked at that video-sequence and it looks just great - but HOW exactly do you do that move (especially when you're in the middle of the pack like in triathlon). How do you get your feet so quickly from one direction to the other? I see a backstroke when doing the move around the buoy and then switching back to freestyle, but can you maybe give some more movement-details/sequence - I would really appreciate this info!
Old 06-17-2010

sbechtel78

It's like doing a "backstroke" move with your outside arm (left arm near buoy) and as you round the buoy you just move into the freestyle with the left arm first. That's how I did it and it seemed to work for me. Probably, the ONLY thing that I can do okay when it comes to TI in open water. It worked even when I was in the middle of a small pack of people during an open water practice. I don't expect to be in the middle of a pack during my tri swim unless the leg that starts after mine has caught up with me :(
Old 06-18-2010

KatieK

I don't see the trailer on the home page anymore; this is the URL to get it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DBCv87nSPE