Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009

pmuni

As the original author of this thread, I feel the need to report back on my suit experiences.

With the brand new and extremely tight full suit that I bought, my times have dropped considerably: 1:24 in 100m breast (1:32 original) and 0:38 in 50m breast (0:42 original). My conclusion is that more than reduced friction, the greatest benefit comes from the improved bouyancy which helps me keep my hips much higher in the water.

Therefore, I beleive that this sort of improvement in times would not have been possible in a more experienced swimmer that already has good alignment and whose hips ride high naturally.
Old 11-06-2009
Coach

CoachDave
Default Not to the same degree, but....

The effects you're noting you got help on have been corrected on most elite swimmers, but they still get alot of benefit from some of the suits, especially those that were outlawed for competition.

It's kind of like wetsuits- a novice swimmer may drop 10, 20, even 30 or 40 seconds per 100 yards in one, but an elite swimmer might only drop 5-10 seconds per 100 yards. Even for a sprint tri, if it can be stripped quickly, it's still worth it for most.
www.ywcampls.org/ti
www.ywcampls.org/otters
www.distancedave.com