Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2018
Mushroomfloat

Default Can you be "Too Forward" of the scapular plane TI recovery

I have been having another crack at the TI recovery and seem to be recovering from the frontside of the bodyline a little too far in front of the scapular arc
by way of having a lare angle between my backplane and the upper arm.

My question is how forward of the backplane should i be ? & how close can i skirt to it without impingement / banging humerus into collarbone etc

If i am "too forward" can i impinge the bicep tendon?

I saw a shinji video which advicated internally rotating the elbow forearm which allows te elbow to travel more forward of the head which seems to work well, my palm rotates slightly out which requires a correction at entry (also memtioned in shinji video) is this internally rotating the elbow / forearm safe to do?
i seems infinatley better than turning the palm to face the body at exit which can thrown the arm over the back.

Any thoughts or tips?
Old 06-01-2018
Coach

CoachBobM

In my experience, impingement is more likely to be a problem if you are recovering your arm with your hand too close to your body. At one time, we had a drill which we called "Zipperswitch" but we abandoned this name because some people were interpreting as "pulling a zipper up your side" which would put your hand much too close to your body. So we changed the name of the drill to "Swingswitch".

So think about recovering your arm and sliding it in along your "railroad track" on that side, and think about keeping "wide tracks". If you do this, I think you'll find that you can recover your elbow fairly far forward without it putting much strain on your shoulder.

Bob
Old 06-04-2018
Mushroomfloat

Thanks for the tips, yes i seemed to be more zipper than swing i think i have it now my armpit is wide open with a good lat stretch but my palm is facing out at the top of recovery is this a common occurrence?
Old 06-04-2018

Tom Pamperin

As far as I know, the palm should be facing up, away from the bottom of the pool--not out.
Old 06-04-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pamperin View Post
As far as I know, the palm should be facing up, away from the bottom of the pool--not out.
I just tried both you can get the elbow a few incches further forward and tucked more over the top if you internally rotate the forarm & hand

i saw a shinji video where he advocated this i think thats how to do the shinji recovery in that famous vid

Re my original question i was swinging rhe elbow forward on the ear a bit too far in front of the scapular plane making it feel tight up top of recovery so now i have dialed it back more and seem to get it more "over the top" whilst still staying in fromt of the scapular plane
Old 06-04-2018
Mushroomfloat

corckscew the hand at the last minute before entry to avoid a thumb first extention
Old 06-04-2018
Mushroomfloat

^
corkscrew hand clockwise before entry