Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009

Pero
Default Long distance swimming speed

I am sixty years old and still trying to swim. I swim 50m crawl in 0:33 min ( 33 sec ) and I am pretty faster than my friend ( the same age ) who can swim this distance in about 0:37 min ( 37 sec ). . But, 1.500m I am swimming in about 26:30 min and he is swimming this in 23:30 min ( in 25m pool ). The situation is the same on every distance longer than 100m ( 5.000m I am swimming in 1:40:00 and he is in 1:28:00 )

Longer the distance bigger the difference.

What have I to do to be equal to him in long distance swim? Can I achieve his speed at all?

I need suggestions and advices for smart training. I can go to swim four times a week. I would like to prepare for open water season which starts in june with four 1.500m races every sunday and then open water races from 3.000m to 5.000m.

How to prepare for this to beat my friend?

I would very like to read also Terry's opinion and advices.

Thanx to everyone who has some suggestion or advice.

Pero
Old 01-18-2009

Rhoda

It sounds like you are more of a sprinter and your friend is more of an endurance athlete. Read Terry's post "Chapter 4...." in the Open Water section of the forums and you may get some insight. It could be that you'd need to change the way you swim, or it could be that you and your friend just have different abilities.
Old 01-18-2009

naj

I am assuming that you are familiar with the TI method so I won't go into all that. But how is your own technique? Do you sprint out and try to keep pace with everyone or do you try to maximize every stroke and swim long?

Over time I've found that when I practice, if I just stay within myself and go at a steady and consistenet pace I can end up beating most of the folks I swim with. Remember speed isn't everything in the open water races, but good technique certainly is...just my two cents.
Old 03-08-2009

Richardsk

At the top level the elite 1500 swimmers can usually do a pretty handy 400m and sometimes a 200m. Examples would be Grant Hackett, Erik Vendt, Park Taehwan and many others. To do 15 minutes for 1500, which would probably qualify for an Olympic final, the swimmer has to reel off consistent and consecutive 50m lengths at around 30 seconds. They can usually sprint the last 50m as well.

A lot of their training consists of 50m repeats at race pace or faster.

If you go out too fast in a 1500m you will fade before the end.

Take your goal time and divide it up and swim 50m and 100m repeats at that pace. I think that will get you some of the way there.

Overdistance early in the season is also reckoned to be good.