Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Racing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010

LennartLarsson
Default Masters World Championship

Hi

Yesterday I swam the OW 3 K in Gothenburg, Sweden, where the FINA World Masters Championships were held last week. I would like to tell you a good story, that might inspire some of you who are starting TI or have done for a short time.

I am 61 years old and started swimming in 2005 at the age of 55 after a career as long distance and orienteering runner. In 2008 I bought the TI DVD and started to practice all by myself. After another year I came in contact with Terry and got an Internet coach. In June I was in New Paltz and swam together with Terry and I also joined the camp a couple of days up in Lake Placid.

I felt great during the whole race. I stared of relaxed but focused. Some guys went away and they were to fast for me. After about 500 meters I stared to leave people behind and at the turning buoy we were a group of 3 guys and one woman. At the finish I came in second in the group and finished as the 9th swimmer in the race at 46.49 minutes. My best race ever! A fantastic feeling.

So if I could do it, there must me more of you out there that can go from beginner to a pretty advanced OW swimmer. Good luck everybody!
Old 08-08-2010

naj

Congratulations on such a great race! Like yourself I learned to swim a couple of years ago at the tender age of 43. Since then I've done a 10K, 13.4K, and am preparing for two 18K's next year. Terry's DVDs and meeting him in person and working on things have moved my swimming so much further along. I've been swimming open water for nearly two years and every time I go out I try to remember what Terry constantly repeats I'm paraphrasing here, 'try and be a better swimmer when you come out than you were when you went in.' Good advice. Congratulations again on a job well done!

Naji
Old 08-22-2010

splashingpat
Default naji it is all about your swim & yours is getter better & better everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Congratulations on such a great race!
Like yourself I learned to swim a couple of years ago at the tender age of 43. Since then I've done a 10K, 13.4K, and am preparing for two 18K's next year. Terry's DVDs and meeting him in person and working on things have moved
my swimming so much further along.
I've been swimming open water for nearly two years and every time I go out

I try to remember what Terry constantly repeats I'm paraphrasing here, 'try and be a better swimmer when you come out than you were when you went in.' Good advice.Congratulations again on a job well done!

Naji
workN on things that make my swimmN better!
no matter who says it! it boils down to this....
doesn't it!
p.s.
I worked in a pool and they put a lot of responsibility on me
but
I should see it should be on the individual!
should n't it be?

lifeguard making calls on hypothermia?
what's the temperature of the pool!
YIKES! GUYS RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

I'm taking CARE OF ME!
& what do You want from
the lifeguard!

Last edited by splashingpat : 08-22-2010 at 06:18 PM.