Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How did you learn your new TI freestyle?
Drill Practice 28 87.50%
Satisfied? 22 68.75%
Dissatisfied? 1 3.13%
Whole Stroke Practice 13 40.63%
Satisfied? 10 31.25%
Dissatisfied? 2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2011

CoachKevin

Same for me for freestyle anyway. The only time I really do drills is when I want to kick. That's because I usually do the practices I write for my swimmers & that's what I give them as kick sets. But the focus in those sets is the kick, not the drill.
I still do short axis drills, but at a much higher level of exertion than "learning" drills. I like the way the drills feel at higher effort levels, especially breast drills & short axis combos!
Dubai, UAE
Old 01-03-2011

forests

Since I had to unlearn many years of inefficient, mechanically poor freestyle, I relied on drills to a great extent in my workouts. It took alot of discipline not to deviate from the drills and breakout into freestyle but I held the course for about 6 months, finally mastering balance and understanding the importance of relaxed fingers, arms etc.
Now at about 18 months out, I still begin workouts with about 250 yds. of balance drills, skating and SG as much out of habit as to set the tone for my workout of about 2,000 yds., mixed tempo freestyle in 100 yd. sets.
Like others, I also studied Terry's and Shingi's freestyle demonstrations to use as my goal.
Old 01-03-2011
CoachTodd

I started with TI drills. Lots and slow practice in order to overcome years of developing my former stroke. Now I utilize the drills as part of my warm-ups for time of focus and preparation for whole stroke swimming. I still am amazed as both a coach and swimmer at the number of swimmers who rush through the drills to get to whole stroke/practice not realizing the opportunity they are missing to improve.
Old 01-05-2011

afbcpa
Default Drills - Forgot to select Satisfied

I learned/am learning via drills with a very little wholestroke and I am very satisfied. My swimming has improved greatly over the time that I have been using the Self Coached DVD and drills.

Tony