Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2016
ScoopUK

Default Microcycles (technique focus) in training

I wondered if any of you are familiar with USRPT and their approach to training. I don't wish to discuss the pros/cons of USRPT as a training method in this forum however they have an approach I rather like and wondered if anyone else is doing the same. It seems to be very compatible with TI:

Essentially USRPT suits people that already have pretty good technique and so they tweak their technical attention to detail in cycles and generally just get on with swimming at desired race pace. I believe this is weekly. For example, for freestyle:

Week 1: Streamline
Week 2: Breathing
Week 3: Body rotation
Week 4: Initial action (hand entry & catch)
Week 5: Power phase movement (pull & push)
Week 6: End of stroke position
Week 7: Arm recovery
Week 8: Kicking

I like the idea of breaking the focus points into weekly blocks. I could imagine if you are swimming frequently enough a week of solid focus will really 'burn' that movement pattern from the unconscious incompetence -> conscious competence -> unconscious competence Terry refers to in his material. After 2 months of shifting focus from one area to another it makes sense to start the cycle again just as you would revisit material studying for an exam.

I like simple training approaches where you don't have to have a degree to understand the workout or purpose of the day's swim. This seems to suit that and I was considering planning my swim training around this approach but adapting it more to the TI focal points.

Eg something like:

Week 1: Relaxed head & laser beam
Week 2: Relaxed hand entry with deep spear
Week 3: Hip rotation / weight shifts
Week 4: 2 beat narrow streamlined kick
Week 5: Hand entry / timing
Week 6: Breathing
etc...

Any thoughts?
Old 08-27-2016

Danny

Been a lot of discussion of USRPT on this forum. You might try doing a search on it. Here is a start:
http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...ighlight=USRPT
Old 08-27-2016
ScoopUK

I know how to perform a search thanks. It seems you were so keen to remind me you didn't realise your link has no relevance to what I was talking about whatsoever.

Let me put it another way...

What do people think of breaking focal points into weekly blocks rather than flitting between different things throughout the same session.
Old 08-27-2016

Danny

Was only trying to help :o)
Old 08-27-2016

WFEGb

Hello SkoopUK,

just a thought: If you really take only one FP for a whole week to the pool, even the USRTP might become boring.

But with at least two FPs (can be micro FPs... better three) it might be a tool for improvement.

Maybe others will be better in FP-work than I and will not be bored so quickly...

Best regards,
Werner
Old 08-28-2016
ScoopUK

Thanks all for your input. I prefer to do more swimming than drills when I'm in the pool so I thought this might be a good way of keeping FPs in mind and gently improving stroke over time rather than a heavily focused session where I barely swim any distance.

I understand this might not be strictly the TI way as fitness is a byproduct to us rather than a priority and so I see why people are reluctant to talk about USRPT here (and are probably tired of doing so). I see more similarities than differences though.