Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2015

woodwards26

I had my first session wit Jai this week it was a great session. It convinced me that only going back to basics will cure my inability to swim bilateral.
To respond to Truwani why should he consider doing it because the elites don't do it when we see them. I would say they swim breathing to one side in racing but not in training. Only by breathing to both sides in training can we become symmetrical and then hold this symmetry even when breathing to one side.
In my case my first 3.8k swim resulted in neck pain for several days which I have put down to the lack of symmetry in my stroke.
Bilateral to me doesn't just mean breathing every 3 or 5 strokes I will be happy to breathe every 2 swopping sides every length or any pattern that has equal breathing to each side.
Before starting my going back to basics just one length of poor side breathing had me gasping for air.Yesterday I managed 200m swapping side each length so it's getting better.
With Jai earlier this week he watched me swim both breathing to my good side and poor side. And basically I am rotating reasonably well to my good side albeit breathing a little late, but to my poor side I lack rotation and lift my head to breath.
During our session he demonstrated how I swam one side rotating the other flat.
He had me do drills like superman, torpedo, skate, interrupted/easy breathing .All drills I have been doing but with Jai helping me strod alongside me in the water he was able to correct my positioning and get me to understand the drills better.
The biggest thing was in superman I was lengthening out using my shoulders rather than my full torso so most likely I do the same whist swimming.
In my swimming whilst I thought I was using my hips to rotate I was using my shoulders to start it off so these two things are most likely connected.
Since the session I've been back in the pool a couple of times just working on the same drills.I am going back next week and need to show him I have improved.
John Woodward

Nothing can stop a person with the right attitude; nothing can help a person with the wrong attitude
Old 09-26-2015

woodwards26
Default my bilateral journey

Six weeks into my quest to sort my wrong side breathing.
four weeks by myself working with The Perpetual Motion DVd and Ultra Efficient Freestyle Self Coaching workbook.And the last two weeks two sessions with Jai Evans.

The Self Coaching is great but Jai showed me a few things that I had missed or misinterpreted from the DVD and has allowed me to move closer to my Goal.

These may help others that aren't able to to get a TI coach but have a buddy watch them.

1 In Superman Glide I was stretching/Extending forward through my shoulders rather than my core/lats.Not fully corrected yet but it feels better when I get it right.

2 My rotation was shoulder driven with my hips catching up later.And not enough rotation to my poor side.Extending as above and Jai showing me how to engage my core is beginning to show through now.

3 In skate and other drills my non extended arm was neither in my front pocket nor was my arm against my body.It sort of floated out a bit away from my body and when in full stroke it made the route of my arm slightly too far away from my body.When correcting this I suddenly felt more stable and drills like torpedo and skate felt easier .

4 I wasn't kicking through with my kick the forward motion stopped too soon, again when I get this right my body feels more stable but its work in progress still.

We have worked on Superman Glide, Torpedo,Spear Switch,Swing Switch,Interrupted Breathing,Skating and I have visited the pool at least 3 times in between visits to Jai.

Yesterday I had a day off from drills and just swam an hour non stop at a relaxed pace only breathing to my good side but each length focused on a how each drill was finding its way into my swimming. And lots of focus on rotation driven by my hips.My swimming felt better and more enjoyable.I did 2600m in 1hr 1m 16s so 2m21s per 100m about 7s per 100m slower than when I try harder over an hour.

Today I returned to the drills and in between drills did a couple of lengths of either bilateral or poor side breathing.towards the end I thought I would try 200m of just poor side breathing something I have never achieved before. the first 25 felt great so did the next at 100 it was still holding and only at 150 did it break down a little but by focusing on my core and staying calm it felt good again and the last 50 were as good as the first 50. It took me 4m 56s so 2m28s per 100 compared to the 2m21s above over the hours swim at about the same feel of effort.(Although I usually do 200 in 4m to 4m05s).

But the big thing is I did 200m non stop and wasn't gasping for breath at the end that's a huge move forward from six weeks ago.

John Woodward

Nothing can stop a person with the right attitude; nothing can help a person with the wrong attitude
Old 09-28-2015

tomoy

I think one of the things I'm only feeling now, say 3-6 years into my TI journey, is how asymmetry is breath-driven. When I focus on it, I can tell that the stroke after breathing is a good/efficient one where I can feel the propulsion. But the stroke before breathing is often a throwaway. Experience with bi-lateral breathing is essential to get to this point I think.
Old 09-28-2015

Talvi

Andy has written what seems to me a very interesting post that relates to this on another thread: http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...3&postcount=16

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 10-10-2015

woodwards26
Default My bilateral journey

I have now had four sessions with Jai and a further 3 swims each week. Before this week the furthest poor side breathing I had done was 200m a few weeks ago 75m was a struggle.
Because I felt my swim fitness must be decreasing as I have concentrated just on drills and short swims I decided to test it with a 400 m and a 200m swim to my good side but thinking about the lessons I had learnt the 400 took me 8m 44 and the 200 4m11 both about 3 sec per 100 slower than a few weeks ago but I was not putting the same effort in .
The next day I did the same swims to my poor side never having swum 400 before to the poor side.The 400m took 9m52 and the 200 4m52 so both slower than my good side but a first that I can even do them.