Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2015

N4SXX
Default breathing issue

I have been trying this style of swimming found the glide & superman fun BUT when I try the half face out of water for my breath I get a nose full of water HELP what could be wrong ? trying to keep my buoy pressed
Saved
My
Life
<.(((^><
Old 07-27-2015

junkman

Try just rotating not quite to air to determine why water is going up your nose. If you're fine when going close to air, go the remaining distance.

If water doesn't go up your nose when it is underwater, it shouldn't suck water when it is surrounded by air. You are turning your head in a way that doesn't work or trying to breathe underwater or????
Old 07-28-2015

N4SXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman View Post
Try just rotating not quite to air to determine why water is going up your nose. If you're fine when going close to air, go the remaining distance.

If water doesn't go up your nose when it is underwater, it shouldn't suck water when it is surrounded by air. You are turning your head in a way that doesn't work or trying to breathe underwater or????
its strange do blow through nose while gliding and during strokes but when i come up for air the lower nostril gets water flow in it which causes panic to hit
Saved
My
Life
<.(((^><
Old 07-28-2015

Mike Wray

Why not try a nose clip? I have to use one because I am allergic to swimming pool water getting up my nose.
Old 07-28-2015

Zenturtle

Yep noseclip.
I also get water in the nose when doing slow speed things.
When water flows over the face its less likely it makes a bend and flows in the nose.

Last edited by Zenturtle : 07-28-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2015
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

There are a couple things to remember about breathing.
1. It is not natural for us humans to breathe in through the mouth and out through the nose. I don't know why this is difficult for a lot of people, but it is. I mouth breathe all the time when I swim. It is easier for me.

2. The faster you go, the easier breathing gets. As you move faster the bow wave around your head gets larger and the trough for your mouth gets deeper so breathing is easier. Practice breathing on your first or second stroke after a strong push off. Make sure you have not lost all the push off speed before you breathe.

3. Survival instincts are most powerful around breathing, and wrong. Instinct says lift the head which drops the mouth and moves the bow wave too far back behind your mouth so an efficient breath is impossible. Use swim and nod (a.k.a. take a fake breath or roll as if you are going to breathe but don't actually breathe) until you consistently feel air around your mouth. Only when this is consistent can your brain begin to believe that the instincts are wrong.

I also agree that a lot of people do much better with a nose plug. It takes the stress out of the picture until you are efficient enough and fast enough to not need it.
Albuquerque, NM 87111
http://www.sites.google.com/site/des...achingsystems/