Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009

Landlover
Default Slow Progress, any suggestions?

Hello, I started swimming just a few years ago in my early 40s. I made progress with push/pull freestyle but certainly generated more bubbles than progress. I could however slowly work through 40x25m laps without stopping often for breath.

I converted to TI about 3 weeks ago after seeing super-smooth TI swimming on YouTube. I have the DVD/Book and have been practicing almost daily.

Whilst I can feel propulsion from switching and no longer create splashes and bubbles, I feel that something is not quite right. My SPL (25m) is still high 21ish or if I really try to lengthen my stroke is 17-18. Also I feel more breathless after swimming a length of TI than one of my old "struggle". Although my arm/leg/Shoulder muscles are no longer so tired.

My focal points are typically
- streamlining along the tracks with relaxed arms
- avoiding turbulence
- being slow and patient

Is this slow progress normal or is it likely that I am imprinting some fundamental mistakes on other counts? Suggestions or ideas would be warmly received.

Many thanks
Old 08-21-2009

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlover View Post

Whilst I can feel propulsion from switching and no longer create splashes and bubbles, I feel that something is not quite right. My SPL (25m) is still high 21ish or if I really try to lengthen my stroke is 17-18. Also I feel more breathless after swimming a length of TI than one of my old "struggle". Although my arm/leg/Shoulder muscles are no longer so tired.

My focal points are typically
- streamlining along the tracks with relaxed arms
- avoiding turbulence
- being slow and patient

Is this slow progress normal or is it likely that I am imprinting some fundamental mistakes on other counts? Suggestions or ideas would be warmly received.

Many thanks
I have a theory (still unsubstantiated) that reasonably fit people accustomed to heavy cardio can have trouble if they slow down too much while swimming TI. I have experienced the same thing too. It comes from being addicted to oxygen. I get my cardio from running where I have become used to fast shallow breathing to get my oxygen requirements. To get maximum SPL , you have to breathe less frequently while you're in the glide phase of the stroke. This is where we get into the trouble. I have attacked the problem two ways. When I run, I have started to train myself to breathe deeper and less frequently. When I swim, I will quicken my SR when I start to feel breathless. This gets me the hits of air that I need. Recently I have noticed that I no longer "dump" air just before I inhale. I used to have to this when I was breathing on every other stroke. I must be getting a little better at evacuating the CO2 because of the deeper breathing I am using. I am speculating that in your old "struggle", you had a high SR and got lots of shallow hits of air. My speculation is that as we improve our TI technique we will get more velocity out of our hip drive and pull. That's how our SR will drop and not from just extending the glide phase. Notice that Shinji and TL don't look like they are just gliding. Rather their stroke cycle are efficient for other reasons. Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2009

Rhoda

If you've only started T.I. three weeks ago and you're already down to 17-21 strokes, that's actually pretty good. It isn't magic, it takes time to learn. And it will feel strange at first, because you've imprinted another style of swimming, and it's going to take time to unlearn it.