Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013

andyinnorway
Default Ah-hoo's Breathing Tip

The ah-hoos are giant inflatable things with smiley faces that appear in a popular BBC show for pre school infants called 'In the night Garden'.

They don't seem to offer much in the show but they may help your swimming particularly if you feel out of breath after turns.

During the open turn its all too easy to touch, breath, turn, push, exhale which results in a couple of seconds of breath holding and increased heart rate.

Try this instead as you touch the wall think 'And Ah-Hoo' (you can physically mouth the Ah-Hoo bit)

And is touching the wall and breathing in -
Ah - is the start of the exhale
Hoo - is the push off the wall

If you think of these little characters it will help it become automatic and relaxed (and maybe make you smile on the turn)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haahoos.jpg (23.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-08-2013

Talvi

RofLol great idea Andy! I'll remember the Ahoo (oops, And Ah Hoo) as the sequence now, but I havent learned yet to do a turn. Any suggestions on how to approach learning that?

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 07-16-2013

andyinnorway

Talvi,

I think Terry has some great video on turns

http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...5-lessons.html

I also liked some of the go swim videos on youtube on turns.
Old 07-16-2013

Talvi

Thanks Andy, appreciated :)

Woohoo! Just found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx31AJjif0o esp. at 2:07, collapsing into the wall - looks really good. Nice to have a starting alternative to the complete flip package. The practice (collapse and then push back withiut bending) also gives a check on body alignment and balance :)

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 07-16-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2013

tomoy

@Andy - hah - nice - this forum has missed your poetry.

@Talvi - good find. Never thought about a couple things they mentioned. That an open turn has advantages in that you get better or more reliable footing plus the air can give you better distance on your push off. My guess is if you perfected the flip turn, it'd be better all around. I'm sure olympians have the differences down to the hundredth of a second - but how many things do we mere mortals actually perfect?
Old 07-17-2013

andyinnorway

I'm not gone just a new swimmer in waiting. 17 days to go. Pools closed, swimming gear in a different country. I've dedicated this month to Running and next month to swimming so my forum output will probably reflect that too.

I've given myself 28 days of swimming to find some 2013 pb's to answer s2bf's questions from earlier in the year.
Old 07-18-2013

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyinnorway View Post
...I've given myself 28 days of swimming to find some 2013 pb's ...
TWENTY-EIGHT DAYS!!?!??!! It takes me that long just to remember how to swim! BTW, I guess you're very good in cold water but at what temp do you stop wearing wetsuits or jackets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoy View Post
... I'm sure olympians have the differences down to the hundredth of a second ...
My fantasy is to be able to do a very lazy slow turn that keeps the feeling of the swim and let's me keep on going. The flip feels like it could be that, but I'm only dreaming really!

~ Aleksandr Popov
Old 07-19-2013

andyinnorway

Actually I nearly always wear a wet suit in open water as I'm normally in a remote lake on my own and like to swim down the middle not the edge, so its a safety thing for me in the event of cramp or similar

(12 drownings in the last 2 weeks in open water in the uk)

We do have a very shallow sea bay near us which I would swim without a suit as I can stand up all the way across if needed. That would only be for pleasure though so I'm happy to wait till the water temp is 20deg or more.
Old 07-19-2013

Rajan

Although I can cross easily 25 meter pool(Shallow) in 16-17 strokes, I never go in deep. Feared of getting drowned, I swim where water level comes up to my chest.

Quote:

(12 drownings in the last 2 weeks in open water in the uk)

Last edited by Rajan : 07-19-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2013

Talvi

Quote:
We do have a very shallow sea bay near us which I would swim without a suit as I can stand up all the way across if needed. That would only be for pleasure though so I'm happy to wait till the water temp is 20deg or more.
Thanks Andy. I envy you your lake :) Sounds great. Good point re safety. A wet suit feels like it's going to be a bit of a trade-off now as I have a way to go to establish technique. I'm interested in you saying "That would only be for pleasure though". As opposed to training or ..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajan View Post
Although I can cross easily 25 meter pool(Shallow) in 16-17 strokes, I never go in deep. Feared of getting drowned,.
I believe that's with all of us in some degree Rajan, so it's a battle, finding a balance between recklessness and timidity. There's no easy answer imo. Gradually stay in your envelope, push at the boundaries, and listen to your fears critically and calmly. Beware of ego. Personally I only go 100m-150m out, or along the coast as that has suited my ability to date (I only recently managed 1km, before that it was a max of 600m, all done in 100m-150m laps). My main fear going forward though, is visibility - to those crazys out there, usually drunk, on jet skis or pulling a dozen fishing lines behind or roaring along in power boats or cocooned in gin palaces! I haven't been able to find any bright coloured swimming gear though, but I don't think it'd actually help much anyway!! I think I'd need a support boat rather than a wetsuit :D

~ Aleksandr Popov