Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012

Mike from NS
Default A Catchy Question....

...... or a question on the catch ....

I think I may be getting a grasp (sorry) of the catch and would like to know how others might describe the feeling. I'm fine with the timing but would like to know if there is really a sense of "holding the water". My description would be that "my catch feels like dragging my somewhat relaxed hand through fresh snow to gather the makings for a snowball". Though relaxed to some extent, I may be more holding it as a claw - fingers wide spread; and then more relaxed for the snap at the end of the stroke.

I've received a few compliments lately on how I made good progress over the past year ... that was nice. But I do feel it is coming together -- fin-less laps and all !! So if frustrated now, just realize this - you are closer to reaching your goals than you were a year ago. No one has had as slow a learning curve as I have had to date. Worth every effort !

Comments on your catch's feelings please.

Mike
Old 07-13-2012

haschu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
...... or a question on the catch ....

I think I may be getting a grasp (sorry) of the catch and would like to know how others might describe the feeling. I'm fine with the timing but would like to know if there is really a sense of "holding the water". My description would be that "my catch feels like dragging my somewhat relaxed hand through fresh snow to gather the makings for a snowball". Though relaxed to some extent, I may be more holding it as a claw - fingers wide spread; and then more relaxed for the snap at the end of the stroke.

I was searching for a picture. It's a bit like holding your hand into ... yes, your picture is right on! Don't find a better one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from NS View Post
...No one has had as slow a learning curve as I have had to date. ...
Not sure if you win that contest ;-)

Hang on in there...
Old 07-13-2012

Mike from NS

haschu33,

Thanks for your reply and your confirmation of what I've found recently. It is interesting how we find things we are not looking for at the time we find them.

When I felt this "hold of the water" I was concentrating on the 2BK while swimming using a snorkel. My kick goes all over the place ... splays badly. So I was concentrating on fixing this and realized what I was doing with the hand and "catch". It felt right so I thought I would see what others thought. (And as it happens, a bit of this concentration on the kick has done wonders with it. I'm not spread all over the lane as badly and I'm feeling the diagonal connection that was discussed here a couple of months ago.)

Learning curve contest ? I'll bet for time spent in the water, I'm right up there with the slowest learners among us ! Quality work takes time, you know ! :-) Possibly if more dedicated over time spent, I may have been quicker. But these days even the breathing is starting to work. Everything in it's own time, perhaps. As Enya puts it -- "Only Time"
Mike

Last edited by Mike from NS : 07-13-2012 at 10:57 PM.