Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2016

truwani

Nice job so far

Breathing is one of the most difficult elements in my view, so drop the scooba and focus on breathing with only one goggle above water and aligning the rest of your body
Old 02-12-2016
OllieMackJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal View Post
Excellent sclim - balance is priority, depth of spearing arm is not unless it rises above the lungs that causes the hips to drop more. I think I would only add, lean into or press (down) on armpit (or press on front of lung ball) to bring the hips up a bit more, and continue to work on timing from the hips or center.

Ollie: Given you started in Dec and took a workshop - wow! Nice work!! You certainly have all the elements there and are on your way to continuous improvement *and* awareness. What was the final feedback from Coach when reviewing your video from the last pool session? What priorities and focal points were given to work on for the next few weeks?

Stuart
Hi Stuart,

Thanks, will really have to go back to balance, like Terry says, balance, streamline and then propulsion.

I started swimming last november, bought Terry's ebook and videos in december and took the workshop end of january. I only ever did some lap swimming for 6 weeks when I was 12 years old, so that is 42 years ago, where did all the years go...

Last thursday managed to swim my first 38 laps in one go, whole session was 2.4 km, aim is to swim 4000 m in one hour end of this year, so lots of work ahead of me.

Last focal points of my ti coach, were:
- more swimming in front quadrant with a faster recall from the shoulder muscles in stead of the triceps
- she told me to focus on swiming 50, 100 200 300 400 meters while aiming to keep my SPL the same, and told me I would probably lose form after 200 meters, but just to keep at it and when I could keep SPL constant at all distances to move towards swimming with tempotrainer and gradually increase tempo while keeping SPL

I swim 3 times a week for one hour in a 25 m pool and mostly focus on keeping SPL but once I loose that, I just go for just adding distance and then next time I hope to hold form and SPL longer, and when I loose it again I just go for distance, reason for that is that I need to get in better shape as well.

Anyways, really like all the input and feedback from this forum, Thanks all!
Old 02-12-2016
OllieMackJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwani View Post
Nice job so far

Breathing is one of the most difficult elements in my view, so drop the scooba and focus on breathing with only one goggle above water and aligning the rest of your body
Hi truwani, thanks for that, I have chosen to go with the snorkel to just focus on technique and gliding, I know how to breathe but just find it too tiring, I will get back to that later, after I manage to hold spl and good form over longer times and distances.

Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2016
OllieMackJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclim View Post
You would have to aim your face down at a lower angle than currently, which means the snorkel can't be used to breathe, and perhaps also press your chest downwards. You may need to do this in stages, in dedicated balance practice, say by gliding in Superman, doing nothing else except gliding in balance. This can be done in the shallow end, which solves the breathing problem for this practice drill -- just stand up when you need air. Also skate drill with face similarly down and aiming for horizontal alignment.

Once you have acquired horizontality and fixed it in your body memory, it may be possible to safely use the snorkel again, but there is a chance that the snorkel use might drive front end elevation again, despite your new balance awareness.

My take on things is that the balance is a more fundamental skill to work on, more so than the verticality of the forearms in catch and stroke, which admittedly is an issue with your current form; but even if you get a lot more transmitted propulsion power, currently, all that power would get eaten up by drag of your back-end through the water.
Thanks sclim, very much appreciated, I realize I need more balance and am really focusing on that, and I have noticed that when I do, sometimes I get water into the snorkel, just like you said, therefore ordered the dry top for this snorkel, but maybe I will add more non-snorkel-swimming to my swimming, thanks for your insights!
Old 02-13-2016
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMackJames View Post
Hi Stuart,

Last focal points of my ti coach, were:
- more swimming in front quadrant with a faster recall from the shoulder muscles in stead of the triceps
- she told me to focus on swiming 50, 100 200 300 400 meters while aiming to keep my SPL the same, and told me I would probably lose form after 200 meters, but just to keep at it and when I could keep SPL constant at all distances to move towards swimming with tempotrainer and gradually increase tempo while keeping SPL
That's great advice. Stick with the focused 50's and 100's to imprint good position. Your timing up front is excellent. Use swing-skate, swing switch switch to hone good timing, fluid movement, and recruit the hips. I would only add relax the hands and release the head a bit more; you're looking forward about 45 degs, look down closer to 90 degs (or hang the head) to lift the hips. Tension in hands can restrict fluid movement, just soften hands a bit. Your tempo is at 1.25 (or 48 spm) which is a good place for you to be and hone new skills.

Really nice work in a very short period of time, and kudos to Coach too! Keep us posted as you progress.

Enjoy the journey!

Stuart