Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2016
ScoopUK

Default Ditching the fins

Hi, I tried butterfly the other day for the first time and was doing so using fins to help me learn the rhythm. With fins it all came together fairly easily but taking them off I found it very hard to have forward movement. I think I was maybe overdoing the leg kick with the fins on which masked the fact my body undulations weren't very effective. Anyone have any tips? I can underwater dolphin kick on my back okay but can't do so on my front.
Old 06-20-2016

Suddethb

I got my rhythm first by doing the Betterfly drills, then practicing some one armed fly laps (one arm forward, and the other doing sweeps, then the other arm forward coming the other way.) I pretty quickly got it down and started into mile swims.
Old 06-29-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopUK View Post
Hi, I tried butterfly the other day for the first time and was doing so using fins to help me learn the rhythm. With fins it all came together fairly easily but taking them off I found it very hard to have forward movement. I think I was maybe overdoing the leg kick with the fins on which masked the fact my body undulations weren't very effective. Anyone have any tips? I can underwater dolphin kick on my back okay but can't do so on my front.
Have you tried the drill sequence in the TI Betterfly DVD? I've never had anyone need fins to do them.

Bob
Old 06-29-2016
ScoopUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
Have you tried the drill sequence in the TI Betterfly DVD? I've never had anyone need fins to do them.
Hi Bob,

Yeah, I've been doing the hand sculling drill while trying to perform the undulations and hand sculling with kick however I don't really have the grace or flexibility to make it give me any meaningful forward movement. But I do get the head forward and shoulders down, making hips rise but I'm sure I look rather rigid when I do it.

Now I've been able to figure out how to generate some propulsion from the legs I can swim a couple of lengths at 29s/25m. I tend to start off 'boomer style' with a bit more glide then on the second half I pick up the stroke rate so it's more powerful. But I couldn't sustain that long.

I've noticed focusing on those drills also transfers well to my breaststroke.
Old 06-29-2016
Coach

CoachBobM

One way to break free from using fins is to gradually trim the fins. Eventually, when you get to the point where there is almost no fin left, you can just throw them away.

Bob
Old 06-29-2016
ScoopUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
One way to break free from using fins is to gradually trim the fins. Eventually, when you get to the point where there is almost no fin left, you can just throw them away.
I'm not using them now anyway. I jut accepted I had to look like a fool for a while in the pool wriggling on the surface not going anywhere.