Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2016

IngeA

I'm also struggeling with my freestyle, the one day more than the other. I don't really swim breast stroke and I can't swim backstroke at all. I want to learn the other strokes one by one. Only one stroke sometimes gets a bit unilateral, it always uses the same muscles.

The last days I had much time to go to the pool, but as all others had holidays too, the normal pool was crowded.
We only have one line separated for athletes. I don't go there if there are 8 other swimmers in various speeds. It's chaotic, even if the slow let the faster ones pass. I always feel hunted then, that's no condition to train technique.
In the other lines you can't swim freestyle. The chatting old ladies don't even see you if you wear a bright pink cap.

So I went to the kiddy pool to learn something new. Why not? This time is as good as any other.
Old 01-08-2016

Richardsk

IngeA
I sympathise with your not being able to relax and swim comfortably in a public pool, especially with the chatting ladies. We had a couple of French ladies here who used to come regularly and swim two abreast chatting. They took up about half the pool, which is only four lanes. I remember my daughter wondering out loud one day why they didn't go to a coffee bar if they wanted to gossip.One of them swam a very pretty breaststroke and was very good at moving out of the way of oncoming traffic, but the other wasn't so good.

Backstroke is impossible in a busy pool with no lanes but if you get the chance I recommend it. You can even try inverted butterfly, Rückengleichschlag with a dolphin kick. ;-)
Old 01-08-2016

IngeA

Our pool has 5 lines.
I think it would be much better if they'd separated two "athlete's lines" so the people who really want to swim could devise in slower and faster.
In a separated line much more people can swim nearly without disturbing each other if the speed doesn't vary too much.
And the remaining three lines were sufficient for the chatting swimmers (they are not only old ladies ;o)).
Most people I know there want to swim and not to chat.
So as a consequence all swimmers including the chatting ones could swim without being disturbed by the others.
I made this suggestion, but they don't want to separate a second line. I don't know why, it's not much work. But perhaps it's to force the officials to build the bigger pool. It's already in planning, but I fear until it will be built I will be a chatting old lady too :o)

Early in the morning (on week ends) the kiddy pool is nearly empty. Also chatting people but they stay at the edge and do their gymnastic.
But for real training it's to warm.
After an hour swimming you are just before getting a heatstroke.

Backstroke I will try in summer. The open pool is nearly empty in the morning.
Old 01-09-2016

IngeA

New impressions out of the pool.

I was there in the morning again struggling with the two pulses. But I had still the impression that there was something wrong.
Then I realised, that I paused between arm sweep and recovery. So I tried to do the recovery immediately after the arm sweep. This feels much more fluent, but I doubt that there are two pulses now. It feels like one pulse. But I don't know how it has to feel when done correct.
Old 01-21-2016

IngeA

OK, it's not flying.

What I do is "ride on the wave" with a recovery over the water surface.
I breathe like in breast stroke and in sculling dolphin with the insweep. But in whole stroke I should breathe at the end of the arm sweep and recovery (I hope I understood right).

So, I think I'm breathing too early what makes my first pulse to big and so I can't really do the recovery well.

How can I learn to breath later?
Old 01-23-2016

daveblt

You want to breathe EARLY not later in Butterfly .As soon as your hands are ready to start sweeping back is when you initiate the recovery. Your head goes back in BEFORE your arms reenter the water .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 01-25-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2016

IngeA

Sorry for the late answer, I wasn't at home and had no Computer.

"You want to breathe EARLY not later in Butterfly .As soon as your hands are ready to start sweeping back is when you initiate the recovery. Your head goes back in BEFORE your arms reenter the water ."

I think I breath in the wrong "cycle". My head reenters when the recovery begins and that makes the recovery difficult because the body doesn't get out of the water properly. I menage to do the recovery over the water surface, but I think, it's because of my really very flexible shoulders.
The time I breath is the time one breath in sculling dolphin drill in the betterfly-DVD. There you have to breath with the arms weep because it's like in breast stroke only one body pulse for arm sweep and recovery. But I'm stuck there. For me there is a missing link to whole stroke and the correct breathing.
Or I misunderstood something.
Old 02-02-2016

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngeA View Post

. My head reenters when the recovery begins and that makes the recovery difficult because the body doesn't get out of the water properly.

So you are saying that as soon as your hands leave the water then your head starts to enter ? Your head should just start to enter the water after your recovering hands have already swept out to the side and passing your shoulders , meaning at least halfway or more through the recovery .So head enters and just after that your arms .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 02-02-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2016

IngeA

Quote:
So you are saying that as soon as your hands leave the water then your head stars to enter ? Your head should just start to enter the water after your recovering hands have already swept out to the side and passing your shoulders , meaning at least halfway or more through the recovery .So head enters and just after that your arms .
so at least I didn't misunderstand. It's like you write.
But I don't know how learn the right breathing.
Old 02-02-2016

daveblt

Not quite sure I understand . With the arm and head timing that I mentioned you have to breathe out as soon as your head enters the water and then get your breath as soon as your face clears the surface .

Dave