Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Butterfly
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2016

IngeA
Default I'm flying

or at least I managed the rhythm with the two kicks, breathing and recovery although I think really flying is different.
Several times I was able to do 25 meters (with short pauses between the lengths). I am surprised that it was much less exhausting than I thought it would be. But I had to concentrate too much on swimming, so I wasn't able to count strokes.

So the next months and so on I will work on good technique. I hope I can get my husband to film me. I can't see myself, so it would be helpful to see the mistakes.
Old 01-04-2016

Richardsk

Congratulations on flying!

You might consider the 'half fly' idea suggested by Emmet Hines on his web site

http://www.h2oustonswims.org/

He's a TI type and has written loads of interesting articles and a book.
Old 01-04-2016

IngeA

I don't know if I got the right article, but I think you meant the article about the short axis pulsing.
It's right, pulsing is the better word than kicks and that's exactly what's difficult for me: to avoid to kick strongly or better, to kick only to lengthen the body line.

I was in the pool in the morning and worked through some of terry's drills and tried to concentrate on a fluent pulse. I often had difficulties because the "arm stroke pulse" was to big and so I wasn't really able to continue fluently with the "recovery pulse". But it's getting better.
I need not to complain, it was the third hour I spent on butterfly, so naturally it's miles away from perfect.
I tried a year before with terry's old concept, but I didn't get along at all. I couldn't integrate the arm movements into the pulsing movement.
The other way round, to let the arm/ shoulder movement create the body pulse works better for me.
Today I was in the kiddies pool, 12 m in length. I needed three arm cycles to get throw ergo 6 pulses (and one to "initiate" movement, I did not push off).
Old 01-04-2016

Richardsk

This is the Hines article I meant: Vive le Papillon

It's quite a long way down the list of articles
Old 01-04-2016

IngeA

That sounds good, I will try this tomorrow.
And it's also good, I don't need a free kiddy pool for that, I can do this in the normal pool.

Thanks, I will report.
Old 01-05-2016

IngeA

Back from the pool and I hope this text will not get to confusing.

The normal pool was crowded so I was in the kiddy pool again.
I started with Terry's streamline dolphin, then skulling dolphin and then pulsing, one stroke and pulsing.

Steamline dolphin and skulling dolphin worked well, and also the one stroke. But I noticed, when I was doing one stroke, the pulsing without stroke afterwards was bad.
When adding a second stroke instead of pulsing without stroke it felt better. But I think it's a "false" feeling because the movement of the strokes covers the movement of the pulse. So I sticked to only one stroke and several pulses afterwards and I tried to really streamline the pulses and don't get hectic.

And I realised an other thing (a problem I often have when learning a new movement): When I got tired the movements got more fluent. I always try hard to do all correct and control my body so that I'm to stiff and not relaxed.
Old 01-05-2016

Richardsk

Hello again IngeA

I have temporarily suspended my campaign to learn to swim a reliable, legal butterfly but have increased the amount of dolphin kicking or pulsing I'm doing in an effort to improve both my backstroke and breaststroke and to some extent, too, the underwater kicking in freestyle.

You seem to be considerably more advanced in your progress than I am. I'm sure you will soon be an expert flyer.
Old 01-05-2016

IngeA

We will see how the progress will develop.
At the moment we have school holidays, so the pool is open in the morning and I can go swimming every day.

Thursday school starts again and then I can go to the pool on Sundays, sometimes after late shifts (and never when I'm tired). I fear this will slow down progress very suddenly.
I have made the experience to get an expert in any sport it needs a lot of training, not only once a week.

And what I described is what I felt. If feeling and reality go along I will see when I find someone to film ;o)
Old 01-06-2016

IngeA

Today I was in the pool again. Again in the kiddy pool.
I think the pulsing itself is ok, but I tend to inverse the rythm.
I tend to make a bigger pulse with the arm sweep and as a result a little one with the recovery. Regardless of the little pulse I can do the recovery over the surface but I think that's because of my very flexible shoulders.
So that is what I am now working on: to do a little pulse with the arm sweep, then the recovery pulse is automatically the big one.

I did a lot sculling dolphin. Others swim breast stroke, i swim sculling dolphin instead. I don't like breast stroke. But so I'm used to a distinctive pulse with the arm sweep.
Now I try to do a little pulse and lead it more forward.
I did some length (12 m) with small fins. With them I noticed very clearly when i did a bigger pulse. Afterwards without fins it was better also.

And I'm still not patient enough. I don't really glide after the recovery pulse.
Old 01-06-2016

sclim

You guys make me jealous. I'm still struggling with freestyle and you're doing all these fancy things lol! I guess I could try too, but to put the appropriate amount of effort into the process would take away my focus at a critical time, I fear in my freestyle progress.