Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2012
CoachDavidShen CoachDavidShen is offline
Coach
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 604
CoachDavidShen
Default New Garmin Swim Watch

check out this new toy by Garmin on amazon

wonder if its better than the Swimsense。。。。
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2012
nicka nicka is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 80
nicka
Default

Wow looks good.

I like that it logs the times of each lap along with the rest and then automatically start again by the look of the graph.

A pity i just brought my poolmate but it does do the job of counting laps that i was after when i brought it.

Nick
__________________
My Goal to swim 1500 meters in under 30 minutes
EDIT-my goal was achieved Oct 12 2013 with 22 seconds to spare in a 25 meter pool, Thanks TI
Next goal is to achieve this in a 50 meter pool.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2012
CoachDavidShen CoachDavidShen is offline
Coach
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 604
CoachDavidShen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka View Post
Wow looks good.

I like that it logs the times of each lap along with the rest and then automatically start again by the look of the graph.

A pity i just brought my poolmate but it does do the job of counting laps that i was after when i brought it.

Nick
being a gadget freak, i of course had to pre-order one ;-). will post here on how it well it works. given that the band on my swimsense is deteriorating due to pool water exposure, i am anxious to give this one a try. i would swim with my Garmin 910Xt but it's a bit bulky and looks like this one is better for pool swimming....whereas the 910XT is probably better for OW swimming because its GPS.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-04-2012
stratcat stratcat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 19
stratcat
Default

For what it's worth, Finis have recently released a little GPS unit (GPS only - clips onto goggles) that would be a good match with a watch like this or with the pool mate watches (which I have) which don't have GPS. They're about $140 or so. Good for OW swimming and leave it in the bag when at the pool.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-04-2012
Talvi Talvi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lappeenranta, Finland
Posts: 1,675
Talvi
Default suggestions...?

I'm doing ow swimming so I read this thread with that perspective and was interested in what Chris wrote....
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratcat View Post
Finis have recently released a little GPS unit (GPS only - clips onto goggles) that would be a good match with a watch like this or with the pool mate watches (which I have) which don't have GPS. They're about $140 or so. Good for OW swimming
I started looking at watches prompted by the Suunto Ambit, but in reality they feel way OTT for me (I'm hardly an athlete!) or else they seem like Mickey Mouse aimed for FB etc., so I'd like to ask your advice. Hope that's ok here? Maybe I should have started another thread...

I'd like something for ow swimming, to get an easier and more accurate idea of distance and time than poring over Google maps. Even though I'm a poor swimmer it'd need to be accurate as +/- 10m would add up to a big difference at this point, swimming to and fro. (I'd also like to use it in much the same way for xc-skiing)

My idea is to get away from over-concern on metrics by having them readily available. With a suitable device I could follow what my body wants to do and then see how that has measured up rather than set and then see how those made me feel. Perhaps this is all diversionary though, but I feel it might be motivational and take the guesswork out of things.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-04-2012
nicka nicka is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 80
nicka
Default The ultimate goggles

The ultimate goggles.

Built in GPS, lap counter, lap times, stroke count,heart rate, open water co-ordinates so you don't swim off course, blue tooth,tempo trainer, all data viewable in your goggles while swimming.

Hmm how good would it be :)

Nick
__________________
My Goal to swim 1500 meters in under 30 minutes
EDIT-my goal was achieved Oct 12 2013 with 22 seconds to spare in a 25 meter pool, Thanks TI
Next goal is to achieve this in a 50 meter pool.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-04-2012
andyinnorway andyinnorway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,680
andyinnorway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvi View Post
I'm doing ow swimming so I read this thread with that perspective and was interested in what Chris wrote....

I started looking at watches prompted by the Suunto Ambit, but in reality they feel way OTT for me (I'm hardly an athlete!) or else they seem like Mickey Mouse aimed for FB etc., so I'd like to ask your advice. Hope that's ok here? Maybe I should have started another thread...

I'd like something for ow swimming, to get an easier and more accurate idea of distance and time than poring over Google maps. Even though I'm a poor swimmer it'd need to be accurate as +/- 10m would add up to a big difference at this point, swimming to and fro. (I'd also like to use it in much the same way for xc-skiing)

My idea is to get away from over-concern on metrics by having them readily available. With a suitable device I could follow what my body wants to do and then see how that has measured up rather than set and then see how those made me feel. Perhaps this is all diversionary though, but I feel it might be motivational and take the guesswork out of things.
Talvi, if you just want to know how far you swim then I use gulesider.no a lot as their mapping measures point to point so you can measure one end of a lake to another or you can plot a course around the edge of a lake if you choose to swim that way. I checked and it covers finland.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-02-2012
mt6127 mt6127 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 12
mt6127
Default Speaking of gadgets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post
being a gadget freak, i of course had to pre-order one ;-). will post here on how it well it works. given that the band on my swimsense is deteriorating due to pool water exposure, i am anxious to give this one a try. i would swim with my Garmin 910Xt but it's a bit bulky and looks like this one is better for pool swimming....whereas the 910XT is probably better for OW swimming because its GPS.
Speaking of gadgets, a tech savvy friend who's new to TI and I were talking about developing a "virtual coach" tool. Imagine an underwater web cam married up to a notebook or smart phone app, that would allow you to video conference to a coach for real time viewing and discussion. At a $200 price point - hit or miss? assumes you have Wi-Fi or wireless internet on your notebook or phone..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2012
CoachDavidShen CoachDavidShen is offline
Coach
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 604
CoachDavidShen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt6127 View Post
Speaking of gadgets, a tech savvy friend who's new to TI and I were talking about developing a "virtual coach" tool. Imagine an underwater web cam married up to a notebook or smart phone app, that would allow you to video conference to a coach for real time viewing and discussion. At a $200 price point - hit or miss? assumes you have Wi-Fi or wireless internet on your notebook or phone..
i think the danger of putting an expensive laptop or smartphone near pool water would make this a tough sell, plus the problem of persistent and consistent internet to make a web conference continuous for the length of a coaching session could make this problematic. i have problems keeping a skype video call going for that long...perhaps you could try this over skype first and see if it would work?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.