Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012

azamy
Default Pain in my stomach after swim session..

Hello,

Last evening I swum 30 laps non stop and really loved every single thing about it. But shortly after I was out of the pool I started feeling terrible pain in my stomach and felt really bloated. I think it is because I don't know how to exhale 100% the air I breath in.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to exhale completely before breathing again. Fixing this will be a milestone for me since I have been in trouble with this for quite sometime.

any tips?
Old 05-15-2012

collinsdc

Sounds like you may be actually swallowing the air you are inhaling, hence the bloated feeling & your pains are probably nothing more serious than cramps. Are you taking a huge gulp of air when you inhale?

If you are exhaling almost all your breath just before your mouth breaks the surface then the inhale will happen almost automatically & you don't need to inhale a big gulp of air, I found this out through trial & error by experimenting with different rates of exhalation & you will probably have to do the same & see what suits you, we are all different.

Next time you swim focus entirely on your exhale, & experiment with how often you breathe, ie: every other stroke, every 3 etc, it will take time but you will eventually find a breathing rate that will allow comfortable air exchange.
Old 05-15-2012

Richardsk

I agree that it sounds as if you are swallowing air, which can cause intestinal discomfort. I think some people are more prone to this than others. Apart from stopping for a discreet burp now and again, I have no magic solution.
Old 05-16-2012

azamy

Thanks Collin,

You are absolutely right with the swallowing part, I do swallow air and I have noticed it. Next time I will make sure I work on my exhale and see what happens. And yes I do take huge bulks of air when I breath, the reason I was doing that is if I take smaller amounts I run out of oxygen quickly and as you said we are all different. One reason I need more oxygen is my weight and larger than average muscles.

I will keep working on this share my findings.
Old 05-16-2012

collinsdc

Next time you swim try to focus on regulating your exhale so that your mouth does not break the surface absolutely gasping for a breath. A constant steady bubbling from your mouth & nose or just nose alone as you swim & as you begin to roll for a breathe then start to exhale a bit more forcefully.

If you need air, then YOU NEED AIR , there is no way around it. We are creatures of dry land & not water so let your requirements for air determine how many strokes you take between breaths, not the other way around. If you need to breathe every 2 strokes then do so, it will take time & patience but you will become more relaxed with practice.

I am no expert swimmer & it has taken me over 1.5 years to nail down a breathing pattern I can swim comfortably with & I still feel I have a long way to go yet. There are plenty of posts here on the forum on breathing issues so you are not alone in your struggles.

Good luck in your progress & enjoy!
Old 07-06-2014

spica155

I know it is quite a while but I didn't want to start a new thread although I have exactly the same problem as azamy.

I originally learnt breaststroking and never had any issues breathing there (incl. head under water). I practice freestroke with TI for roughly a year now and overall I am pretty happy with it. However, shortly after each practice, I get severe stomach aches due to air in my stomach.

I really tried to figure out what I do differently between freestyle and breaststroke but so far was unsuccesfull. Even when I stay on a slow pace for the entire session, focusing on a smooth breathing, my stomach is full of air at the end.

I typically swim breathing every third stroke. However, I also can breath only every 5th, and when I really try even every 7th or on good days 9th stroke. So with a slow pace, I am not out of breath gasping for air when breathing every thrid stroke.

Any recommendations what else I can try or what I do wrong? Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 07-09-2014

aquascum

I could imagine that the 'one goggle above water' drill (whatever it's called... possibly swim and nod?) might help to unlearn aerophagia.

p.s. it would be ever so helpful if there was a list of the drills and what they are called in the various DVDs and books...
Old 07-09-2014

tomoy

The swallowing air might be related to discomfort with the mouth in water.

Maybe gasping for all air well above the surface, then exhaling all air has something to do with it. I noticed Terry doing a thing where, as he's inhaling part of his mouth is taking in water. I think he spits it out. So there's a mouth process of allowing air down the windpipe, but collecting and spitting out water during exhale. I think this is a really useful skill because it allows you to lift or rotate the head to breathe as little as possible. Also, learning comfort with the water in-mouth means that those times when you get all water aren't a panic. Just spit it out and go again next stroke. Without this comfort, that water may have sucked straight down the wind pipe.

I've started to do some open water swimming, and I notice that one of the first panics (after temperature adjustment) is trying to keep water out of my mouth. Eew - plankton! To get over that, I have to purposefully take some water in my mouth and then squirt it out. I rinse my mouth with lake water as if I were going to bush my teeth. That seems to lead me toward relaxation.

Just thinking out loud here.
Old 07-10-2014

jenson1a

Altho I have never experienced stomach pain, I do notice that sometimes I belch a lot after swimming a few laps. I know this is from swallowing air and I am trying to work on my breath exchange. After a lesson with a TI coach, he suggested that when my face is in the water, do not exhale. Then while turning to breathe, slowly let some air trickle out. Then just before the face breaks the surface, exhale fairly forcefully. When I do this right, the inhale is automatic. Sometimes it is hard to judge how much to inhale and exhale. I am comfortable with my face in the water and have no trouble when I inhale if a little water enters my mouth.

Mat Hudson has also written some blogs on breathing and the breath exchange--whether you breathe every other stroke, bilaterally, every 4th stroke, etc. Need to see what is good for each person.

Terry has written a blog about the need to start your training session by taking 20 breaths to instill a sense of relaxation. I have been doing this at the beginning of practice and also whenever I feel I am swallowing too much air.

Sherry
Old 07-15-2014

tomwilliamau

i have also have same problem during swiming