Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > How To Swim A Mile
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2009

Nicodemus
Default TI Easy Freestyle is....easy!

Hi,
I have just joined the forum, and want to share my TI success story. (The story so far anyway... I can see this being a lifetime project!)

Today I comfortably swam 1500 meters freestyle in 40 minutes. I know that is not a record-breaking achievement, but 4 months ago (before I did a TI workshop) I could barely do 50 metres freestyle. Also, as emphasised by Terry I felt like I could have carried on and done another mile!. (In fact I stayed in the pool working on various drills for about another hour).

I have always been comfortable in the water, I have a good breaststroke (I did 1 mile award when I was about 10 years old). I also have experience of scuba diving & snorkelling. But the freestyle has always been a problem for me. Being taught to swim flat probably didn't help! After 2-3 lengths I was exhausted. Clearly this was a problem with technique rather than strength/stamina.

Eventually I decided to get some proper tuition, and luckily I found UK TI head coach Ian Smith. The workshop totally changed how I think about swimming.

After the workshop I still found it hard to put all the pieces together to swim whole-stroke. So I spent about 8 weeks just working the drills. Then I had a month off swimming due to other commitments. After that break, I decided to throw myself into whole-stroke. At first it was awkward, but over about 4-6 weeks it has all come together.

At first I was alternating lengths of breaststroke with lengths of freestyle. This is what I always did in the past so I could 'recover' from the freestyle lengths. But about 2 weeks ago I started to question why this was necessary. I realised that my freestyle was not using much energy - so the real problem must be that I wasn't breathing correctly. [I'll post more details under the H2O section].

Then I started working on my breathing technique. The funny thing is that I was so busy practicing my technique that I forgot to do my breastroke 'recovery' lengths. So I was freestyle swimming 30+ lengths of a 33 metre pool with just a few yoga breaths between each one.

Yesterday I was reading some of the posts on this forum, and I decided to try to do a mile myself. And it turned out to be pretty easy - the title Easy Freestyle is spot on!

I took it at a nice comfortable pace, kept good form throughout, and primarily focused on comfortable relaxed breathing. I made a deliberate choice to only breathe on my good side. [I did some work on the weaker side afterwards - 1500m breathing on the other side is already on my list of goals]. My SPL was 21-22 on every length (15-16 at the 25m mark), taking my first stroke under the 5m flags.

So my advice to anyone who thinks they need to 'build up' to swimming a mile is that TI swimming is NOTan endurance challenge. It is all about technique. If breathing is your problem, work on it as a technique. Swim relaxed... lazy even. Glide through the water, get plenty of air - and you should be able to swim your last length just like your first.

Good Luck!
Old 09-03-2010

Henie

Hi,
What are the drills that help you with your breathing because that is my problem! I just took the weekend workshop and I have waited to spend the amount of money it cost, for 6 years. And I was a bit dissappointed of how I felt I didn't improve much. But I just felt that I have to take so much breath. So what drills that you worked that actually help? The skating? The superman?

Thanks,
Henie
Old 09-03-2010

madvet

I found I improved over several months after my workshop. It isn't really meant to be a quick fix.

What I did, was to take each drill, especially the beginning drills, and do that drill for an hour a day for a week. That was something I hadn't done before.

But that was me. I am not one for formulas, you can think up your own. Try to think about what "little" things you picked up during the workshop that you didn't know before, or some aspect that was seen on video that they said should be corrected. Then try to come up with a plan that will address those issues.
Old 09-03-2010

madvet

What drills for breathing? Now I mainly do the drills with regular breathing every 2 or 3 armstrokes, and don't do the sweet spot rollover.

One big advantage to this is that you are practicing your whole breathing technique in the context of an unhurried drill. And your breathing pace is more natural.
Old 09-03-2010

Alex-SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henie View Post
Hi,
What are the drills that help you with your breathing because that is my problem! I just took the weekend workshop and I have waited to spend the amount of money it cost, for 6 years. And I was a bit dissappointed of how I felt I didn't improve much. But I just felt that I have to take so much breath. So what drills that you worked that actually help? The skating? The superman?

Thanks,
Henie
Hello Henie,

What is your breathing problem?
a. Your stroke/Technique (ie you cannot take a breath properly)
b. The lack of stamina (out of breath after, let's say 25m-50m)

TI drills can help with both.

In general I like to divide the task into multiple STEPS...
STEP 1: TI drills to learn the proper foundation (achieve good balance + rotation, synchronize your kick/core/stroke for propulsion
STEP 2: Incorporate breathing into your TI technique Drills
STEP 3: Swim Freestyle and focus on breathing from an endurance standpoint 50m --> 1500m

We all have breathing problems and want to fix those first but at the end of the day a poor technique is greatly responsible for lack of endurance. ALEX

Last edited by Alex-SG : 09-04-2010 at 07:05 AM.