Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013

TomBrooklyn
Default Timex Ironman and Casio Lap Timer Watches: Do They Work In the Water?

Is anybody successfully using a Timex Ironman or Casio Lap Timer watch to count swimming laps?

Both Timex and Casio advise the lap (or any) button must not be pressed when the watch is underwater. What is unclear is if the watches can be safely used if it they are lifted out of the water before pushing the lap button.

The Customer Service Reps from both companies demured to answer that question; but CSRs tend to be conservative in making performance promises.
Old 07-14-2013

Richardsk

I have used Casio watches in the past to time lengths and have pressed the start and stop buttons under the water without failure. I did have one that failed after water got in. After drying out in an airing cupboard it worked again after a fashion but was no good for swimming because it had lost its water tightness.

I'm currently using a Timex Ironman and it is working fine under water so far. The Casio watches are quite cheap and indeed the Ironman is not really expensive. I would not be prepared to spend a lot of money on a fancy watch.

Some manage fine with the pace clock and others with a head for figures can work out how fast they are swimming by counting their Tempo Trainer beeps. Within certain parameters I can be reasonably sure of my normal practice pace but not accurately enough for serious logbook keeping.
Old 07-15-2013
Coach

CoachDavidShen

IMHO the Garmin Swim watch is the best swim watch out there today. I had a FINIS Swimsense watch but the Garmin was superior.
Old 07-15-2013
coach

CoachRogerCoxon
Default Garmin Swim Watch is excellent

Tom

I have had two versions of the Swimovate Pool Mate, and now I have the Garmin Swim Watch.

The Garmin Swim Watch is excellent and the software (really the web site) is pretty good, and better than the software with the Pool Mate. The PC interface is better on the Garmin.

I am also in Brooklyn, and swim at the Red Hook pool in the mornings, if you would like to give it a try.

Roger
Old 07-15-2013

TomBrooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen View Post
IMHO the Garmin Swim watch is the best swim watch out there today.
Hi Coach. The Garmin's look great, but they cost a lot more than the Timex and Casio lap timer watches do; and I would prefer to stay in that lower price range. I swim so slowly that I will be practically be able to measure my lap progress in minutes, not seconds, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachRogerCoxon View Post
I am also in Brooklyn, and swim at the Red Hook pool in the mornings, if you would like to give it a try. Roger
Hi Coach Roger,
I swim at the Sunset Park pool: usually in the evenings, and sometimes in the afternoons, too. I'll make it a point to stop by the Red Hook pool for the early bird session sometime soon though.

Last edited by TomBrooklyn : 07-15-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2013

helixfairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
Is anybody successfully using a Timex Ironman or Casio Lap Timer watch to count swimming laps?

Both Timex and Casio advise the lap (or any) button must not be pressed when the watch is underwater. What is unclear is if the watches can be safely used if it they are lifted out of the water before pushing the lap button.

The Customer Service Reps from both companies demured to answer that question; but CSRs tend to be conservative in making performance promises.
I love my Timex Ironman watch! I am always careful to push the button above water. It has had no problems with water whatsoever. I love that it can store times for workout segments, then total the actual exercise time (with the pauses subtracted out). You get to know the time of each exercise too.

Helix Fairweather
Keizer, OR
Old 02-17-2014

TONIPAPA
Default Pool Mate, Garmin Swim Watch or ForerunnerŪ 910XT

[quote=CoachRogerCoxon;41272]Tom

hello
from forum i see than garmin its best swim watches at moment
but can somene know witch garmin its better ,swim watch or foreruner 910xt.
second :can somene know witch watch its good for snorkeling and freedive for measuring water depth precisly
thanks
Old 02-17-2014
Coach

CoachDavidShen

[quote=TONIPAPA;45275]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachRogerCoxon View Post
Tom

hello
from forum i see than garmin its best swim watches at moment
but can somene know witch garmin its better ,swim watch or foreruner 910xt.
second :can somene know witch watch its good for snorkeling and freedive for measuring water depth precisly
thanks
regarding the Garmin watches, i have tested both and find the Garmin Swim has functions that are more related to pool swimming, like interval functions, etc. I also think it is a tad more accurate than the 910XT. both have problems identifying my butterfly - they think it's breaststroke!

i also like the slimmer profile of the Garmin Swim. the 910XT is bulky for just every day swimming.

however, i am amazed at the 910XTs GPS tracking for OW swimming. it manages to be pretty decent at tracking your path while swimming out in the ocean/lake!

neither watch is a dive watch however. you'll have to look elsewhere for that.
Old 02-17-2014
Coach

CoachSuzanne

I have used may timex Ironman swim watches for trackign pool & ocean swims and even took one scuba diving by accident...still works. They have all pretty much lasted me until they wore out (2-3 years) and battery replacement didn't work, OR until I lost them.

I like them so much I once bought 3 of them within 2 weeks because I lost the first two while traveling. :( I tend to take them off while typing on the computer b/c the strap gets in the way.

I LOVE my Timex Ironman lap watch.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 02-17-2014

AWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
I LOVE my Timex Ironman lap watch.

Me too!
Have had mine for over 3 years and the one before that another 3 - 4 years. I'm always pushing the buttons underwater, didn't realize I couldn't.
I always shower with it as well to be sure and rinse all my gear (watch, goggles, TT and speedo).
Also use in the sea...

Alan