Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011

TMVTXT
Default Need advise for further Kaizen

Hi all!

about 2 years ago, I first hit on TI swimming then bought some TI DVDs from Singapore, start practice but no chance to go to TI workshop.

Recently I feel my swimming is quite relax and can complete 3 or 4 x 50 m with same feeling, however I just took a video and a bit upset about what my strokes look like!

It seem that I have a lot of issues: body arch, head lift during breath, right hand spear ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylLuYoS6S88

Can somebody help me what is my most critical issue and how to correct that?

Thanks for any input.

Thuy
Old 07-31-2011

daveblt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVTXT View Post
Hi all!

about 2 years ago, I first hit on TI swimming then bought some TI DVDs from Singapore, start practice but no chance to go to TI workshop.

Recently I feel my swimming is quite relax and can complete 3 or 4 x 50 m with same feeling, however I just took a video and a bit upset about what my strokes look like!

It seem that I have a lot of issues: body arch, head lift during breath, right hand spear ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylLuYoS6S88

Can somebody help me what is my most critical issue and how to correct that?

Thanks for any input.

Thuy

There are three things that I see , your right hand entering too narrow , you are breathing a little too late , and you are swimming with just a bit too much front quadrant timing . I don't really see any excessive head lifting if any during the breath though .Stretch out and Let your body relax a bit more and lean into support . Enter that right arm wider and try to switch hands just as or just before the recovery hand enters instead of afterwards. If you roll earlier in the stroke to your breath it should also help with head lift . keep one goggle wet . You may need to enter you hand to a lower clock position to help with balance .Your stroke does look pretty good though and balance looks pretty good as well .

Dave

Last edited by daveblt : 07-31-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2011

TMVTXT

Thanks a lot Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
There are three things that I see , your right hand entering too narrow , you are breathing a little too late , and you are swimming with just a bit too much front quadrant timing....

Dave
Can you explain a bit more about "too much front quadrant timing"? do you mean my switching timing is too late when my spear hand has passed too much to the front?
Old 07-31-2011

RadSwim

I have working on this problem recently. One of the unintended consequences of the TI method is that many of us learn to hold the skating position too long. I discovered that I actively resist the natural body roll that comes when the recovering arm comes out of the water. Then, I use my kick to trigger the switch, too late.

My solution has been to forget everything I know about swimming long -- forget how to hold the skating position. Just swim focusing on following my recovering arm into the switch. In other words, allow myself to fall (roll) into the switch as my recovering arm pulls me around.

Give it a try.

RadSwim

Last edited by RadSwim : 08-01-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 08-01-2011

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVTXT View Post
Can you explain a bit more about "too much front quadrant timing"?
Not to hijack the thread, but in answer to your query: make the lead hand less patient. Start the pull, then enter with the recovering hand.

This is not to say that some swimmers - especially those with excellent balance - don't delay until the recovery hand enters, but in general that is the exception.

Don't be overly rigid, and allow for variations for tempo and individual style.

Last edited by borate : 08-01-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-01-2011

RadSwim

Borate and I are saying the same thing but suggesting different approaches to solving the problem.
Method 1: focus on catching earlier
Method 2: focus on starting body roll earlier

See what works.

RadSwim
Old 08-01-2011

TMVTXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
I have working on this problem recently. One of the unintended consequences of the TI method is that many of us learn to hold the skating position too long. I discovered that I actively resist the natural body roll that comes when the recovering arm comes out of the water. Then, I use my kick to trigger the switch, too late.

RadSwim
Quote:
Originally Posted by borate View Post
Not to the thread, but in answer to your query: make the lead hand less patient. Start the pull, then enter with the recovering hand.
That's very clear to me, I will try your advise next time to the pool!

One more time watching Easy Freestyle DVD, I think may be I should do more ZenSkate and ZenSwitch to correct my too much quadrant timing. But
I'm little nervous! every time I tried ZenSakte, I'm sinking!
Old 08-01-2011

RadSwim

In retrospect, I wish I had not learned ZipperSkate (now ZenSkate). That drill teaches stability and balance in the skate position. Unfortunately, it is how I learned how to resist my natural body roll. So now I am unlearning the unintended consequences of the ZipperSkate drill -- I would have been better off without it.
RadSwim