Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011

Pascal_S
Default Early workshop or not?

Hi !
I'm a new membre here and want to thank you all for your very
helpfull posts.
A bit about myself:39 year old male,6 feet,160 pounds,not a good swimmer (can't swim more than 100m without stopping)but very motivated to learn the TI way.
I am recovering from an herniated disc (L5-S1) since last march and swimming
helps me a lot.
I started 2 weeks ago some TI drills and my question is:is it better to try getting confortable with the drills(superman glide,fish,switch...) by myself first or to start right away with a coach/workshop?

Pascal
Old 07-19-2011

RadSwim

Get expert coaching early. You can avoid many of the self-coaching errors if you start with an expert. Then arrange periodic tune-up coaching as you progress.
Old 07-20-2011

Pascal_S

Yes,that makes sense.
I just want to make sure that I don't waste valuable time with a coach or in a workshop on things I should have already learn by myself.

I'm from Montréal,Québec.The nearest possible coach announced on this site is in Vermont.Any chance I can find a coach closer to me?
If not I might just have to go on a trip to the Hoboken workshop I guess.
Old 07-20-2011

cynthiam

I started out with TI as I was learning to swim at my local YMCA. I took a TI weekend workshop 6 months after beginning to learn to swim/TI drills. It was a good experience, though I kind of wish I had been familiar with more of the drills before the workshop.

I would advise you to become familiar with TI drills (and the terminology), even if you can't do them very well yet. There's a lot of information presented at the workshop, and I thought it would be easier to understand everything if I had done a little more preparation.

I agree with RadSwim -- get some kind of coaching early if you can, either a workshop or private/semi-private lessons. I took 2 private lessons this past March, and the coach corrected my form for superman glide! This was after doing it (wrong) for a year and a half. :) And it helped a lot.
Old 07-20-2011

RadSwim

There is a triathlon coach in Quebec who pops up on various swimming websites. His discussion forum comments are good. I don't know him personally and have no information on his coaching. Google - Charles G. Couturier

However, the advantage of working with a TI coach is that all of the coaches are teaching from the same basic model.

Last edited by RadSwim : 07-20-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2011

Pascal_S

Thank you RadSwim and Cynthiam for you answers.I appriciate it.

I will continue to learn the TI basics(and terminology) and will definitely
get early coaching to avoid bad habits.

Pascal
Old 07-18-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal_S View Post
Yes,that makes sense.
I just want to make sure that I don't waste valuable time with a coach or in a workshop on things I should have already learn by myself.

I'm from Montréal,Québec.The nearest possible coach announced on this site is in Vermont.Any chance I can find a coach closer to me?
If not I might just have to go on a trip to the Hoboken workshop I guess.
Hi, sorry for beating this probably old and dusty thread.

I'm Charles Couturier (as you may have guessed).

Let me cut straight to the point. I've heard about a TI instructor that sometimes visit Montreal. Your best bet in getting her details would be that you call a bike shop called Cycle Technique. Talk to a person named Gilbert Ayoub. Mention that Charles from l'University of Montreal did mention about this TI instructor.

I think she's related to Terry himself, somehow but I can not remember how exactly.

Personally, I tend to move more and more toward a competitor's system, so even though I read the yellow TI book, that I've been a remote fan of all the good that TI can bring to your swimming, I think it could be problematic to sub-contract me, at least on a personal basis. A few (if not several) of my ideas on swimming tend to clash a bit with some of the values put forward by Total Immersion (on using a Pull Buoy for instance, etc). And since I have a great respect for Terry's works, I wouldn't want to blur things up.

However, if you feel that you're not receiving the service you wish you receive, always feel free to drop me a PM. I also happen to be the head coach of UdeM Triathlon Program, and I teach swimming at this University as well. A private lesson would cost you $50, given that you're a member of the CEPSUM (other wise you're not even allowed to purchase a lesson).

Muller Garnier, the man in charge of the Aquatic program at that University is a huge fan of TI, and has been teaching swimming with their principles in mind. Again, if you're a member of this University sport center, you may even ask him to be your dedicated teacher. he knows the book, he owns the DVD, etc...

Cycles Technique is more than a bike shop. It's a tri-training center with the only Endless Pool in Montreal. I've coached there, it's awesome. In several cases, I do prefer an Endless Pool compared to a traditional pool. You can purchase lessons there at that center, I think they're worth 95$/hr. You may mention that you'd like to hire a coach that knows TI.

All the best
Charles G. Couturier