Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013

johynr]]]
Default lastest video for review.

Please find below a link to a video I took this morning.

I've edited it to make it shorter, but it shows 4 lengths in total. The first two are breathing to my right and the second two, breathing to my left. I've tried to use a two beat kick throughout.

I can see many errors but specifically I have two main questions (1 and 2).

1. When I breathe to my right, it feels nice, in balance and breathing is easy. But when I breathe to my left, I don't feel balanced, it feels awkward and rushed.

From the video can anybody tell me why this is, what have I got to have to improve to feel more balanced and relaxed when breathing to my left.

2. At the moment I cannot get below an SPL of 19, no matter what I do. Again, what have I got to improve/change to allow sub 19 SPLs?

3. Anything else that strikes you from the video that I should work on.

Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVcnk...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-07-2013

johynr]]]

Done, hopefully it can be seen now.
Old 01-07-2013

borate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johynr]]] View Post
1. When I breathe to my right, it feels nice, in balance and breathing is easy. But when I breathe to my left, I don't feel balanced, it feels awkward and rushed.

Try a slightly wider left-arm track. As contrasted with the right, you will note that it almost crosses over the centerline.
Old 01-07-2013

johynr]]]

Yes, I noticed that (to my horror), but I don't see how that would affect breathing to my left?
Old 01-07-2013

Joe Novak

It appears to me that:
1) You use your left arm to hold on to some water when you breath to the right. But you use your right arm to help you balance when you breat to the left. Continue to work on balance on both sides, but especially on your right side (when you breath to the left).

I actually think your right arm needs to be more like your left. I look for the elbow outside the palm as the "signal" of when you begin to hold water. This happens a lot sooner with your left arm then with your right. You can be a bit wider with the left, but I would work more on making your right arm like your left.

2) Continue to work on balance to get the stroke count down. However, work on getting that elbow outside the palm sooner on both sides to get more distance per stroke.

I'd love to get feedback on my feedback.

Joe Novak
Old 01-07-2013

Stevew46
Default What camera?

Too much of a novice myself to offer any detailed advice but did notice your left arm is not as wide as the right ( exactly the same as me!!! I can only breath to the right also so maybe theirs a link????)

Sorry for going off topic but have to ask, what camera are you using, it looks really good? Thanks and good luck, one day we just might get this!!!

Steve.
Old 01-07-2013

jenson1a

From the front view it looks pretty good (except for cross-over), but from the back it seems that your legs sway from side to side a little excessively. Don't know if this is a valid observation, but it seems that any motion not contributing to a forward motion is wasted effort. i have had trouble with the 2 bk so I have tried to practice with quiet legs--had experienced the same swaying motion I see in your video.

not sure if this is valid but hopefully some coach or someone with more experience than I, can comment on this.

Sherry
Old 01-07-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by johynr]]] View Post
Please find below a link to a video I took this morning.

I've edited it to make it shorter, but it shows 4 lengths in total. The first two are breathing to my right and the second two, breathing to my left. I've tried to use a two beat kick throughout.

I can see many errors but specifically I have two main questions (1 and 2).

From the video can anybody tell me why this is, what have I got to have to improve to feel more balanced and relaxed when breathing to my left.

2. At the moment I cannot get below an SPL of 19, no matter what I do. Again, what have I got to improve/change to allow sub 19 SPLs?

3. Anything else that strikes you from the video that I should work on.

Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions.

Your stroke is coming together, but its still stiff and a bit awkward as its relatively new.

some things that effect your SPL

1. Your spear is really deep and then your elbows drop a bit further so you lose a lot of purchase on the water.

2. There is very little elbow bend on the catch phase, especially on your right arm.

I would suggest thinking about how your hand and elbow should feel at the end of the catch, before the pull. You can do this on land or in the pool, and its something you can do forever as its never perfect but its very good to know where the catch ends and the pull starts.

I just read this and we all know that the elites have awesome shoulder flexibility but its a great illustrative process of the anchor catch theory.

http://racedaycoaching.com/?p=121
Old 01-07-2013

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew46 View Post
Too much of a novice myself to offer any detailed advice but did notice your left arm is not as wide as the right ( exactly the same as me!!! I can only breath to the right also so maybe theirs a link????)

Sorry for going off topic but have to ask, what camera are you using, it looks really good? Thanks and good luck, one day we just might get this!!!

Steve.
I've found its normally the pool clarity not the camera that makes the difference these days as most mini cams have quite good lens and resolution.

I've been told the blurriness you see in some underwater shots, or through your goggles when you are swimming is 'used up chlorine'. almost like the chlorine crystalises around the bacteria?
Old 01-07-2013

CoachToby

I think most of the issues you're having with breathing and arm movements results from a lack of balance - your feet and hips are always lower than your shoulders. Improved balance will allow you to achieve a weightless feeling and give your more control over the arms and legs.

Go back to basics with short repeats of Superman Flutter to Skater focusing on these points:

1. Hang your head
2. Gently reach forward with a soft leading wrist, opening the armpit
3. Push the back of the knees to the surface

When you are balanced in SF, your heels and butt should feather the surface. When you are balanced in Skater your top leg and top hip will feather the surface. Listen and feel for these cues. When you think you've got it, try taking a few strokes (minus the breathing) - always making sure you remain perfectly balanced. This sequence will give you a heightened awareness of what perfect balance feels like. It will also allow you to start tidying up your leg and arm movements.

Try to avoid attempting to fix problems while swimming full stroke. You will benefit greatly from developing fundamental skills, like balance, in simple drills.

I uploaded a couple of drill videos to YouTube a while ago, one headed "Beginner" and one headed "Advanced". The former has about 3500 views and the latter has around 28000 views. Too many swimmers neglect foundational skills.

I hope this helps.