Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012

1974gtv
Default Second Season as a TI Swimmer

I had the privilege of training with the Kaizen Master himself last year. I went from not being able to swim 25 yds without stopping to catch my breath in January 2012 to my first sprint triathlon in June (1/4 mile swim) and my second two weeks later at twice the distance (1/2 mile)! I am taking triathlon training more seriously this year and am working with a tri coach who is giving me swim/bike/run workouts each week. My goal is to move up to a couple of Olympic distance and one half ironman in 2013. Need to build confidence, endurance and speed.

Below is an example of a typical workout from my tri coach. I enjoy the workouts and find they are building my strength and confidence but not sure they are in keeping with the TI mantra of balance, stability and streamline. Any suggestions on how I might modify or substitute. Beginning in January, I plan to do 2 x 1.25 hour swim workouts per week.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
================================================== ========
warmup :
100 free / 50 kick / 100 free / 50 kick :15-:20 RI

• freestyle drills all done on the :15 - :20RI you can wear zoomers for all of these.

• 4 x 25 kick on stomach with arms at side (no kick board)

• 4 sets as 50 yards as:
25 kick left side / 25 kick right side. Focus on hips up, chin to cheek, ear into shoulder except when breathing.

• 4 x 50 as (25 yards left arm stroke only / 25 right arm stroke only)

• 4 x 50 catch up swim.

Main set (800 yards)
• swim 8 x 100 freestyle on :10-:15 RI
Old 12-28-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1974gtv View Post
I had the privilege of training with the Kaizen Master himself last year. I went from not being able to swim 25 yds without stopping to catch my breath in January 2012 to my first sprint triathlon in June (1/4 mile swim) and my second two weeks later at twice the distance (1/2 mile)! I am taking triathlon training more seriously this year and am working with a tri coach who is giving me swim/bike/run workouts each week. My goal is to move up to a couple of Olympic distance and one half ironman in 2013. Need to build confidence, endurance and speed.

Below is an example of a typical workout from my tri coach. I enjoy the workouts and find they are building my strength and confidence but not sure they are in keeping with the TI mantra of balance, stability and streamline. Any suggestions on how I might modify or substitute. Beginning in January, I plan to do 2 x 1.25 hour swim workouts per week.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
================================================== ========
warmup :
100 free / 50 kick / 100 free / 50 kick :15-:20 RI

• freestyle drills all done on the :15 - :20RI you can wear zoomers for all of these.

• 4 sets as 50 yards as:
25 kick left side / 25 kick right side. Focus on hips up, chin to cheek, ear into shoulder except when breathing.

• 4 x 50 catch up swim.

Main set (800 yards)
Just follow the pattern and substitute what you know about TI. Look into the possible benefit of each line item here...I guarantee that the coach doens't know any better than you know what hte real benefit of these things are (because as written it's just kind of random stuff thrown together with some pseudo-physiology throw in like drills with 10-15s rest interval).

So some things to keep in mind:
Drill sets: Do these at "perfect speed". with "enough rest". They are supposed to help you improve or learn a new movement. Doing them with limited rest in and of itself isn't going to help you improve unless you are already at a very functional level with the drill in the first place. If the movement is new to you, or you are workign on something specific...do it as slowly as you need to to do it right, then rest enough to do it again, correctly.

Here's how I'd rewrite the set deviating as little as possible
Warmup:
100 easy free, long strokes, relaxed
50 as 25 Skate left, 25 Swim
100 easy free, long strokes
50 as 25 skate right, 25 swim

Drills:
Original is this, I notice that each line item is a multiple of four, so I'm going to make it more interesting:
Quote:
• 4 sets as 50 yards as:
• 4 x 50 catch up swim.
Drill Set: 4 Rounds of
25 Core Rotation
50 yds Skate: 25 Skate left/25 skate right
50 yds Single Arm swimming: 25 left arm only/25 right arm only
25 swing switch

Main set original:
Quote:
Main set (800 yards)
No real need to change this, but add some measurement to it.
8 x 100 freestyle, count strokes. Keep SPL within a range of 3. Rest long enough between each 100 to keep SPL in range.

So my version is just an attempt to organize and make sense of the original in some kind of "TI context". Things like 1 armed swimming & catch up can be done really, really wrong so I as a coach I'd make sure I saw a video of the swimmer doing it ,or better yet worked with them inperson.

The "flow" of the drilsl included in this original workout just feels a little random. I'd keep a theme throughout all the drills.

I modified some of the drills taht we don't really do in a TI context (flat kicking on stomach & catch up drill) and replaced them with more specific things like core rotation, skating, swing switch (which are the closest respective drills to kicking on the stomach, right side kick, left side kick and catch up swimming).
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-28-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Also FWIW, if you plan to swim 75 minutes 2 x / week for a total of 150 minutes, you'll probabaly see better improvment from doing 3 x 50 minutes per week or even 4 x 35 minutes per week. Of course getting to and from the pool takes time so it's not always practical and any swimming is better than none. :)

have fun.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-28-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Also FWIW, if you plan to swim 75 minutes 2 x / week for a total of 150 minutes, you'll probabaly see better improvment from doing 3 x 50 minutes per week or even 4 x 35 minutes per week. Of course getting to and from the pool takes time so it's not always practical and any swimming is better than none. :)

have fun.
This has helped me most in the last 2 months, joining a gym with a pool means i can do 30-60 minutes of run bike and or swim without extra traveling or getting changed.

As an added bonus, the gym is about 7 miles away so in the summertime when the snow and ice has melted I can cycle to and from the gym, run around it, then swim in it.
Old 12-28-2012

1974gtv

Quote:

have fun.
Thanks for the advice. Swimming 3 x 50 minutes per week is a possibility, by 4 x 35 is out of the question until summer. During the winter months I rely on limited public hours at a local educational institution.
Old 12-28-2012

1974gtv

Quote:
Just follow the pattern and substitute what you know about TI. Look into the possible benefit of each line item here...I guarantee that the coach doens't know any better than you know what hte real benefit of these things are (because as written it's just kind of random stuff thrown together with some pseudo-physiology throw in like drills with 10-15s rest interval).

So some things to keep in mind:
Drill sets: Do these at "perfect speed". with "enough rest". They are supposed to help you improve or learn a new movement. Doing them with limited rest in and of itself isn't going to help you improve unless you are already at a very functional level with the drill in the first place. If the movement is new to you, or you are workign on something specific...do it as slowly as you need to to do it right, then rest enough to do it again, correctly.

Here's how I'd rewrite the set deviating as little as possible
Warmup:
100 easy free, long strokes, relaxed
50 as 25 Skate left, 25 Swim
100 easy free, long strokes

50 as 25 skate right, 25 swim

Drills:
Original is this, I notice that each line item is a multiple of four, so I'm going to make it more interesting:

Drill Set: 4 Rounds of
25 Core Rotation
50 yds Skate: 25 Skate left/25 skate right
50 yds Single Arm swimming: 25 left arm only/25 right arm only
25 swing switch

Main set original:

No real need to change this, but add some measurement to it.
8 x 100 freestyle, count strokes. Keep SPL within a range of 3. Rest long enough between each 100 to keep SPL in range.

So my version is just an attempt to organize and make sense of the original in some kind of "TI context". Things like 1 armed swimming & catch up can be done really, really wrong so I as a coach I'd make sure I saw a video of the swimmer doing it ,or better yet worked with them inperson.

The "flow" of the drilsl included in this original workout just feels a little random. I'd keep a theme throughout all the drills.

I modified some of the drills taht we don't really do in a TI context (flat kicking on stomach & catch up drill) and replaced them with more specific things like core rotation, skating, swing switch (which are the closest respective drills to kicking on the stomach, right side kick, left side kick and catch up swimming).
Suzanne,

Thanks for the detailed reply. You are the next best thing to a personal swim coach!

I need some direction interpreting your post. I am familiar with the language of TI but don't understand all the short-hand. Where should I look for a description of each drill? In particular, I don't know what "skate right[left]", "core rotation", and "swing switch" mean in the context of drills; and how you define "single-arm swimming".

I have been trying to keep a TI frame-of-mind when doing the drills as presented by my coach; focusing my mind on some aspect of balance, stability and streamline. I haven't been keeping count of my SPL but that is a great suggestion. I know that is a core element of TI improvement.

One more thing, I like to do freestyle (and some drills) with a TT. I also run with a metronome. Any suggestions about using the TT with your modified workout.

Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1974gtv View Post
Suzanne,

I need some direction interpreting your post. I am familiar with the language of TI but don't understand all the short-hand. Where should I look for a description of each drill? In particular, I don't know what "skate right[left]", "core rotation", and "swing switch" mean in the context of drills; and how you define "single-arm swimming".

One more thing, I like to do freestyle (and some drills) with a TT. I also run with a metronome. Any suggestions about using the TT with your modified workout.

Thanks again!
All of the drill descriptions and demonstrations are on the 10 Lesson Series DVD, which would be a great addition to your library. You can also get it in the TI digital shop.

As far as the tempo trainer if you are new to it, I would use it for the 'main sets' that your coach gives you. Either count strokes OR use the tempo trainer for now...and correlate each with your pace. Experiment with comfortable settings for awhile until you have a good idea of what ranges you enjoy swimming with.
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-29-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Boilerplate Workouts vs Personalized Practice

Suzanne mentioned the randomness of the other coach's workout. That's what we observe of a lot of non-TI training. The example given is boilerplate stuff. A random group of sets, the unifying thread of which is an intent to keep your arms and legs moving, and heart beating, for an hour or so. Nothing in it is designed to address your specific skill needs/opportunities or to find the leading edge of your current level of neural tuning and advance it.

And, as she noted, the single-arm and catchup drills are the core stuff that non-TI coaches give. Their key design flaws are:
1) They put your focus on pushing water back, which does a good job of giving your quads (because you're expected to/have to kick hard during them) and triceps a workout but contributes little to stroke efficiency.
2) They do nothing for balance, streamlining or integrating weight shift with stroking movements.

However I'd also give different guidance on including TI drills in your practice. Rather than 25 Core Balance, 25 Right Skate, 25 Left Skate - alternated or interspersed with 25 to 50 whole stroke, I believe it would be better to do something like this

4 to 8 x 5 yds of Superman Glide to Right/Left Skate (odds to right, evens to left)
Followed by
4 to 8 x 25 to 50 whole stroke.

Do 2 or 3 rounds of this with your choice of Focus Points -- one focus on each round. Choose from the following menu:
- Stay on Wide Tracks
- Slide hand across VW Hood to Bumper
- Separate molecules (banish bubbles) with extending arm
- Shoulder barely clear (control rotation)

And on the set of 8 x 100, something requiring a higher level of skill AND focus (the second being equally valuable) than keeping SPL within a range of 3, would be to maintain a precise range of 3 and test your ability to hit your prescribed/chosen SPL accurately and consistently.
E.G.
25 @15SPL
50 @16SPL
25 @17SPL

The numbers I give above are theoretical. You find your personal numbers by doing a Tempo Pyramid or Asymmetric Tempo Pyramid. Find that described in the Stroke Rate Ramp Test thread.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 12-29-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2012
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Terry I agree that your set is much better...but given a generic swim workout and a swimmer looking to 'translate it' to TI, the level of progression and precision in your version might be more than a swimmer new to this activity can comforably do.

I was simply trying to create a " 1 for 1 " substitution of things that were a little more TI like.

The best thing is to have a TI coach write your swim practices!
Fresh Freestyle

Old 12-30-2012
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

Quote:
The best thing is to have a TI coach write your swim practices!
We both agree on that. I think you're going to get a query about precisely that.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story