Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013

Joe Novak
Default TI in a Non-TI "workout"

Here is an article I wrote a while back about ways to make any "workout" turn into a TI Practice:

http://archive.totalimmersion.net/20.../7-habits.html

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2013

1974gtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Suzanne mentioned the randomness of the other coach's workout. That's what we observe of a lot of non-TI training. The example given is boilerplate stuff. A random group of sets, the unifying thread of which is an intent to keep your arms and legs moving, and heart beating, for an hour or so. Nothing in it is designed to address your specific skill needs/opportunities or to find the leading edge of your current level of neural tuning and advance it.

And, as she noted, the single-arm and catchup drills are the core stuff that non-TI coaches give. Their key design flaws are:
1) They put your focus on pushing water back, which does a good job of giving your quads (because you're expected to/have to kick hard during them) and triceps a workout but contributes little to stroke efficiency.
2) They do nothing for balance, streamlining or integrating weight shift with stroking movements.

However I'd also give different guidance on including TI drills in your practice. Rather than 25 Core Balance, 25 Right Skate, 25 Left Skate - alternated or interspersed with 25 to 50 whole stroke, I believe it would be better to do something like this

4 to 8 x 5 yds of Superman Glide to Right/Left Skate (odds to right, evens to left)
Followed by
4 to 8 x 25 to 50 whole stroke.

Do 2 or 3 rounds of this with your choice of Focus Points -- one focus on each round. Choose from the following menu:
- Stay on Wide Tracks
- Slide hand across VW Hood to Bumper
- Separate molecules (banish bubbles) with extending arm
- Shoulder barely clear (control rotation)

And on the set of 8 x 100, something requiring a higher level of skill AND focus (the second being equally valuable) than keeping SPL within a range of 3, would be to maintain a precise range of 3 and test your ability to hit your prescribed/chosen SPL accurately and consistently.
E.G.
25 @15SPL
50 @16SPL
25 @17SPL

The numbers I give above are theoretical. You find your personal numbers by doing a Tempo Pyramid or Asymmetric Tempo Pyramid. Find that described in the Stroke Rate Ramp Test thread.
I'll try it!! I see no reason to stick with the "TI interpreted" drills (although Suzanne, I appreciate your effort). Am I correct in summarizing your recommendation as (i) start with some TI drills for balance, stability and streamline, with individual focal points and then (ii) do main set with SPL measurement and goals?
Old 01-03-2013
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1974gtv View Post
I'll try it!! I see no reason to stick with the "TI interpreted" drills (although Suzanne, I appreciate your effort). Am I correct in summarizing your recommendation as (i) start with some TI drills for balance, stability and streamline, with individual focal points and then (ii) do main set with SPL measurement and goals?
Yes,exactly that. I'll be sending you an email tomorrow with more info. :)
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle

Old 01-14-2013

1974gtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Yes,exactly that. I'll be sending you an email tomorrow with more info. :)
Did you try to send me an email?