Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009

teeradej
Default Arm Collapse

I have been practicing TI freestyle swimming by myself for a year starting from the first drill. I think, without breath, my progress is pretty well. But, by many years of bad breathing technique, I always breathed with the lead arm collapse below. That habit destroys my stroke efficiency. I tried to fix it by start following from basic breathing in O2 in H2O DVD, rotate by the body, align the head and spine, keep arm extend and roll like a log.

Now I feel I have better breathing stroke without arm down and back. But I cannot maintain this habit. After 30 meters of swimming, my arm becomes down and back again. It seems like my breathing stroke is still not so smooth and I have never had sensation of hanging onto a hand-grip in the water. I have tried to fix this problem for months but still have no progress.

Can any body have some good advices to improve it? I need your help

Thank you
Teeradej B. (Tee)
Bangkok, Thailand
Old 10-11-2009

Mike from NS
Default Me too!

Tee,

My limited experience will not permit "proper" advice; BUT... since I have the same problem --- I have found the only thing that helps to produce some correction is to strongly focus on keeping the left arm extended -- with determination, as I breath to my right. Mind over matter !! For me, it is a matter of staying focused, mindful or concentrated on where I am in the cycle. When I do manage to keep that arm extended, I do get a breath with more ease. I hope in time it will become quite natural and I won't even think about it. When breathing to my left side, I have very little, if any, trouble maintaining a long out stretched patient right arm. It has the natural effect which I have to work on for the other arm. I am strongly right handed and wonder if this has any bearing why I have this "ease" with the right arm.

Mike
Old 10-11-2009

daveblt

Check out this advice I gave in the freestyle forum about the same basic issue.
http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...read.php?t=849

Dave
Old 10-11-2009

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveblt View Post
Check out this advice I gave in the freestyle forum about the same basic issue.
http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/...read.php?t=849
Dave
Dave,

I'm certain part if not most of my problems come from poor balance. In trying to combat this I have been following Shinji's advice from last December. He suggested learning the feeling of balance with the assistance of a pull buoy (to keep the legs up) through successive Superman glides -- eventually doing away with the buoy. I am able to glide a bit further but as I loose forward momentum, my feet sink and my chest rises despite keeping the arms stretched fowrad and deep. When doing this while wearing fins the result or glided distance is greater. (My fins do have a buoyant effect.) Cheating? Probably ... but I am learning, which without the fins I doubt that I would. I make sure the last 10 or 15 minutes of a swim are spent without the aid of the fins in an attempt to rid myself of the dependence I've developed for them.

So, Tee, do you think that some correction for you would come with balance drills? I feel that I should be spending more time on balance related drills and have so recently.

Thanks Dave,
Mike
Old 10-13-2009

teeradej

Thanks to Dave and Mike
Well, I think I may still not have good balance enough. I will try harder to practice basic drills to improve my balance this evening. Does the fin actually help you to have better balance?

Tee
Old 10-13-2009

haschu33

Hi,

When I started swimming this year, before I received the 'easy freestyle' DVD, I did basic balance drills regularly. I got the information from the website www.svl.ch, but the article itself was from Coach Emmett Hines, and can be found here: What floats yer boat in the original english version.

I practice floating in balance regularly for a while, and not always, but sometimes, I noticed that I could just float on the water. So I wouldn't do a glide, but just stretch myself out on the water and that's it - legs come up and stay there. In the beginning I used a lot of strength to do that, really stretched myself out, kind of 'lean' on the lungs' and very important, kept the lower back long, not arched.
Now, when it works, it is not that I use strength, and it is not that I am totally relaxed, slack. It is more that you need a general tonus, tone, whatever you call it, in your body.
But you can train it. And it helped me very much with the swimming.

On the other and, working with the TI drills, actually improves my balance as well. So it is a vice versa process.

Hope this might help...
Old 10-17-2009

Mike from NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeradej View Post
Thanks to Dave and Mike
Well, I think I may still not have good balance enough. I will try harder to practice basic drills to improve my balance this evening. Does the fin actually help you to have better balance?

Tee

Tee, I'm not sure if they help with balance but they do have some buoyancy effect and help keep my otherwise sinking legs near the surface. So in that light I guess they do assist with better balance in my case. I feel this is cheating and although they give me a certain amount of confidence, I am perhaps fooling myself. From what is said in these forums, I understand, we can train ourselves into a balanced state without any aids such as fins. This is one of my goals because with good balance all else falls into place. Just look at Shinji's videos for quick proof of this.

Mike
Old 10-17-2009

teeradej

Thanks Iíll check and try.

Yesterday I practiced balance in breathing stroke by starting from basic drill explained in O2 in H2O DVD in 25 meters pool. With concentrate on extended arm with wide track, super slow, and core body rotation, I could do both side breathing stroke pretty well I felt natural and relax every times in one length of 25 meters. But for the second length of the pool after about 40 meters, I started to feel uncomfortable, lost of balance. My breathing stroke became unsmooth and lead arm became down and collapse again. It seemed like I had to struggle to get more oxygen. I think the problem might be on my exhale breathing. I breathed out through nose but not entire time my face in the water. It might be inefficient. Next time Iím going to work more on exhaling steadily under the water.

Tee.