Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Breaststroke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011

Burger
Default Breaststroke: Undulation or no undulation?

Hi

Just wondering, I have been looking at TI demos of breaststroke somehow one thing that caught my attention is that there are somehow two ways how it is done.

First is breaststroke with body undulation. The other is without, Just a frog kick and a streamlined superman glide?

Which one is the more efficient way to do breast? kick followed by undulation?

or kick followed by a superman like glide on a streamline position?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2011
Coach

CoachBobM

It's impossible to do breaststroke without some body undulation, unless you're not going to breathe. How much undulation you do is an individual thing. Keep in mind, though, that your main goal is to move forward - not up and down!

Bob
Old 09-19-2011

johagster

It depends on what speed you are doing.
50 Breaststroke is an agressive race, where undulation is lessser than in 100/200.

I find that undulation is greater when glide is greater. Try overdoing the undulation. What you should get from it is an easier raise of the head from the water. By undulating you are helped by bouyancy to get your upper body up from the surface.

I would deffintley say you are doing it wrong, if you have no undulation in your body.

Look on youtube : underwater kitajima 200
Old 09-19-2011

johagster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBobM View Post
It's impossible to do breaststroke without some body undulation, unless you're not going to breathe. How much undulation you do is an individual thing. Keep in mind, though, that your main goal is to move forward - not up and down!

Bob
What if moving up and down, gets you forward. It is just plain wrong to talk about "flat" breaststroke. TI crawl logic is not breaststroke logic.
Old 09-19-2011
Coach

CoachBobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johagster View Post
What if moving up and down, gets you forward. It is just plain wrong to talk about "flat" breaststroke. TI crawl logic is not breaststroke logic.
I'm not sure how you got the idea that I was advocating "flat" breaststroke when I specifically said "It's impossible to do breaststroke without some body undulation, unless you're not going to breathe." What I said was that "How much undulation you do is an individual thing." So the issue was how much undulation a swimmer should do - not whether they should do it at all.

When I said "your main goal is to move forward - not up and down" I was specifically thinking of swimmers I've seen who swam as though undulation itself (rather than forward motion) were the goal. I can remember freezing a videotape of one breaststroker at the peak of his undulation and observing that his body was nearly vertical.

Bob
Old 09-30-2011

caronis
Default Lacking Undies Gives Me A Hard Time in my Stroke.

I've been trying to swim the breaststroke and I have been doing the drills as outlined in the book "Extraordinary Swimming For Every Body". As I try to do it, I end up having a hard time just gliding in streamline for a length of time, and then having the momentum to come up for air. It seems that if I give a second little kick, not necessarily a breast kick, but maybe just a little flexing of my ankles, it keeps my speed constant enough so that I can use the momentum to come up for air. Otherwise, I slow down and can't come up for air unless I shorten the time of my glide considerably. I still don't feel I have enough speed to be doing the type of body dolphin that is done in the Butterfly, but at least I can bob up for air. In the book, the notion of additional kicking or undulation wasn't mentioned. I was doing it initially, but lately had been reluctant to do it because it seemed that I was creating my own style and I wasn't sure if I was just building a bad habit. As somebody in this post mentioned to look up on YouTube the World Record breaker in the Breaststroke, I didn't see him really undulate. It looked like he was streamlining fairly flat underwater. Did I miss something?