Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2015

mbroady
Default Can't breathe indoors

I'm 46 years old and started swimming at the beginning of June. I started off very small, 500 yards. Over the course of 2 months I have been swimming 5 days a week, and have worked up to a 900. This week I started swimming indoors and I can't seem to catch my breath in between sets. What is going on? Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-2015

sojomojo has disabled reputation
Default Pool Chemicals

If you only suffer from shortness of breath while swimming indoors, it might be the pool chemicals and/or poor ventilation. My mother has COPD and she can't watch her grandkids swim at the indoor pool because of it. The pool will sometimes open the exterior doors (even during the winter months) to ventilate the interior and there’s a noticeable difference in the air quality.
Old 09-16-2015

tobiasreischl

I think the causality of this needs to be looked at much more closely. My brother and I both have asthma, and both swam competitively for years. The key is that we both had asthma *before* we swam competitively. In fact, when I am in the pool, I never need to use my inhaler, while I cannot go for a run without it. Perhaps there is a higher incidence of asthma among swimmers because these athletes were unable to be competitive in non-pool sports *due* to their asthma. Just a thought.

honor 6 tasche

Last edited by tobiasreischl : 09-17-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2015

novaswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroady View Post
I'm 46 years old and started swimming at the beginning of June. I started off very small, 500 yards. Over the course of 2 months I have been swimming 5 days a week, and have worked up to a 900. This week I started swimming indoors and I can't seem to catch my breath in between sets. What is going on? Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
When you swam 'outside' was that in the ocean, a lake or a pool?