Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2011

Burger
Default Is it really possible to breath just using body roll and not turning your head?

Hi

Is it really possible to breath just using body roll and not turning your head to your shoulder?

Well i read a post about breathing where the ideal breathing position is your chin is align with your sternum, I am imagining breathing position thats almost sideways? And it also discourages head movement of turning sideways during breathing to catch air.

Or im understanding and understanding it too literally?
Old 08-03-2011

westyswoods
Default Just Body Roll??

I believe you have it right. I don't see how one could get air without turning the head. It would most certainly cause over rotation.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 08-03-2011

Alex-SG

In my early days learning TOTAL IMMERSION I also thought that body rotation allows you to breathe. It was a misunderstanding on my part. The body rotates but so does the head.

The correct body rotation is 45degrees. If you try to breathe just by body rotation you will end up over rotating, perhaps to 90deg, which will put you out of balance and make your legs splay to compensate.

ALEX
Old 08-03-2011
Coach

CoachPaulB
Default Proper head position dictates

As I have posted before...my coach insisted that my head could be more downward facing. Finally he said "tuck" it. Defiantly I did, and magic happened. My trunk and legs rose to optimum position. No more lower back arch and subsequent aching over distance swims but most noticeably my head rotation to breath diminished significantly as did neck fatigue.
I am aware that the term tuck your head is probably frowned on but I have used it several times (for lack of a better term) with my students and it has produced great results.
When I first made this adjustment in head position it felt so extreme that I wanted to see it on video to confirm that it was incorrect. I could barely tell that my head position changed. So just these last few degrees of head positioning produced the most dramatic results. BTW... my speed increased as well.
Try it. EXPLORE.
Old 08-03-2011

Mike from NS
Default exploration will set us free ?

Is the tucking the same as "following you shoulder with your chin"? Is it similar, or the same as "nod & swim" drill ? In tucking the head, could this be taken as looking towards your feet? In my case, I'm sure I'm over-rotating, focusing on the inhale rather that the exhale (as will be my new focus), and trying to make each inhale last me for the next 10 minutes ! So please add a bit more detail to the term "tucking". Tucking and exhale focus may be my cure !! I believe, Terry once suggested to roll "just enough" then turn your head a bit farther to breathe.
Thanks !!

Mike

Last edited by Mike from NS : 08-03-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: the right thing to do!
Old 08-04-2011

tab

Some recent open water swimming in some choppy water made me turn my head back out of the wave, in a tuck, following the shoulder, looking back. The choppy water forced me to this new position of breathing, it seemed to work for me.
Old 08-04-2011

Burger

thanks for the reply

this is a 2004 article.

http://www.totalimmersion.net/index....php%3Ft%3D2567

this caught my attention

So if we shouldn't breathe in the traditional way, how should we do it? Very simply. Rather than turning your head, breathe by using body roll to take your head to air while keeping your head aligned with your spine and your chin aligned with your sternum; you'll start swimming more easily, comfortably and efficiently immediately. Here are five skills that should help you breathe easy immediately:

1. Align Your Head and Spine. Before you can breathe with body roll, you need to be able to roll easily and smoothly – and that takes a long straight body line. Start by holding your head as you do when you're not swimming. Between breaths, point your nose directly at the bottom of the pool. Imagine you’ve got a laser beam coming out the top of your head directly on a line from your spine. Keep that laser line pointing straight ahead at all times – particularly as you roll to breathe. That means keeping the top of your head pressed into the water as you roll for the breath.

Judging from the 2004 article. It suggest to have a chin and sternum alignment. Am I understanding this incorrectly or out of context?
Old 08-04-2011

swimust

technique technique technique.. I am not a professional swimmer but my breathing technique is almost perfect(both sides,one eye). its about getting the skill. thats all.
you need the body balance of course, usually the problem comes from an unstable balance during the swim.
in my opinion, bad breathing happens because of bad body balance. you are not stable enough during your torso rotations(you dont have enough control on your torso).

Last edited by swimust : 08-04-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2011

Scotty

In reference to the article Burger cited, can anyone help me out with what it means to have "your chin aligned with your sternum." I can understand the chin touching the sternum (a classic "tuck") but I'm not sure what it means to have them aligned.

To remedy my chronically sinking hips, I have tucked before and gotten good results on buoyancy, but breathing was a little awkward. Ironically, I have better luck minimizing head lift by pushing my head forward prior to breathing.
Old 08-05-2011

gerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPaulB View Post
As I have posted before...my coach insisted that my head could be more downward facing. Finally he said "tuck" it. Defiantly I did, and magic happened. My trunk and legs rose to optimum position.
Try it. EXPLORE.
I tried tucking my head and it worked very well for me too, better gliding.
Many thanks!