Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2011

cm67
Default bite of air

Since starting the Self Coached Workshop as a non swimmer I am very pleased with my progress.
I enjoy the thought behind it all and the mini drills and training, I have got the balance and streamlining to workable level but will continue to drill both to improve them further.
i have been working on breathing drills the last 10 times at the pool, and i have progressed quite a bit...but...I am looking for a wee bit of advise here.....when I rotate to air I seem to be a little too far under the water to be able to "take a quick bite of air"...when I rotate both goggles are still under the water..anybody got any tips?...should I rotate my head a little more but keeping it on line or is there something else I could try??

thanks
Chris...
Old 07-14-2011

mmez

No help really, but I'm interested in following this thread as I have the same problem. I also find myself rolling over onto my side too much to breath and an almost completely sideways in the water. Good luck and I hope someone here can give you some good suggestions!
Old 07-14-2011

jeetkevdo

I breathe only to my right as a rule, and have this problem when I practice breathing to my left. Interestingly I do not have the problem while breathing to my weak side while drilling, only while doing freestyle stroke.
Old 07-15-2011

daveblt

You may be pushing your head down , instead look down but let your neck and head relax into the water . You could also be over rotating or breathing too late. If you breathe too late you may have a tendency of craning your neck up to get a breath which can cause your legs to sink .Roll just enough to clear your shoulder as you swim and then breathe as early as possible in the stroke .

Dave
Old 07-15-2011

cm67

Its not covered in SCW so imm not entirely sure of the concept....so could somebody be as kind to explain to me the "swim and nod" technique

thanks
Chris...
Old 07-16-2011

cm67

Ok....so when its time to breath do you need to rotate your body past skate position or do you ust rotate head from skate?
Old 07-17-2011

solothesailor

I recently solved this problem. If you roll to breathe from a skate, you may (some people do some people don't) need to do what you can see Terry did early on in the Easy Freestyle video, ie take it slowly, no panic, at the end of the rotation to sweet spot lift your head a little to leisurely breathe -taking your time. For me, I made this work without getting water into my nose, causing a panic, by breathing gently through the nose long enough to ensure clear air before starting to breathe in.

Later, in swimming + breathing, do the nod (I think this terminology is confusing as you don't actually nod like when saying yes, you just turn) exercise as in the Easy Freestyle video (or I suspect also in the perpetual freestyle video too) and/or search forums for CoachSuzanne's description). The following should help a lot with practical tips from Terry:

Please use the search function of the forums to see this thread, and others, -I copied here for you just terry's reply:
" (begin quote)
BREATHING: Freestyle vs Breast Stroke.
terry
if you feel you're rolling with good alignment, and in balance, yet your ability to get enough air is inconsistent, my guess is that your roll to air may be a bit too tentative? The answer seems self-evident - you're not taking your mouth quite far enough.

There are two possible answers to that:
1) Energize your rotation to breathing. Use the energy of the arm spearing forward to take you to air. For a left breath, it's the right arm spearing to full extension that propels you to air. Tune in to this dynamic
Right arm spears forward . . .
Moving left shoulder back . . .
Follow left shoulder with your chin.

2) Body rotation by itself isn't quite enough to clear your mouth. After you've completed rotation - OFF your stomach, but short of being ON your side - your head needs to roll a bit farther independently. And following the breath, your head will start the return a moment before torso.
" (end quote)

Hope that helps. Cheers
Old 07-18-2011

RadSwim

Many TI beginners learn to spear deeply, which pulls the head deep. When rotating to breathe, the swimmer must wait (pause) to surface or crane his/her head and neck to get air. The solution starts with spearing as close to horizontal as possible, or learn to breathe with a snorkel.
RadSwim
Old 07-18-2011

cm67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSwim View Post
Many TI beginners learn to spear deeply, which pulls the head deep. When rotating to breathe, the swimmer must wait (pause) to surface or crane his/her head and neck to get air. The solution starts with spearing as close to horizontal as possible, or learn to breathe with a snorkel.
RadSwim
Ok, but I thought that spearing deeply keeps your legs up?
Old 07-18-2011

Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm67 View Post
Ok, but I thought that spearing deeply keeps your legs up?
CM67

Spearing deeply "helps" keep your legs up. But keeping your legs up is a combination of arm spear, head and hips position. Just like saying if you spear deeply but have a very high head, the "possible" net effect are dropped legs.