Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011

Burger
Default When to swallow and feeling of stuffed nose (no water accidentally entered)

These past few days i have been swimming 1km non stop. I noticed that there seems to be an issue of swallowing disturbing my rhythmic breathing. Am I the only one experiencing this? If you have tips how to get around this it would be great if you can share.

Also I have this funny nose feel after swimming that distance. Its not because I accidently had water entering mynose.

Hehhehe actually i think i have boggers and snot coming out my nose when im midway of the km.

Any of you experienced blowing off snot from your noses when doing continous swimming? Or am I just blowing a bit hard which im not actually.
Old 07-02-2011

dobarton

Not real proud to admit it, but yes, I get the runny nose just from swimming. I think lack of experience has caused it because everytime I try a new skill, the sensation comes back (as does swallowing water). It seems to go away as I get better at the skill. Lately, it has been from trying to figure out flip turns. Concentrating on flipping, I'm not concentrating on clearing water from the nose.
In my case, fast swimming leads to me swallowing water (and one hell of a stomach ache thereafter). As I get better/more coordinated, I suspect this will pass.
Old 07-02-2011

naj

Relaxing while you breathe is a key. You know how you can swallow without opening your mouth on land? The same can apply in water. Its a bit tricky but can be done with practice (BTW you swallow with a closed mouth underwater sorry to state the obvious.)

As for the runny nose, I get this all the time after I swim, though I swim in ow year round and it is an occupational hazard. Just blow out your nose afterward and you should be fine. Hey look at it this way, no nasal decongestant needed now. Right?

Naji
Old 07-02-2011

westyswoods
Default Nasal Run

There are times post swim when water flows from my nose like a faucet. Naj has it correct, just part of the process. Some days better than others.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 07-02-2011

Burger

Thanks for the fast reply.

Fortunately i dont swallow water hehe . Well im experience a temporary disruption of rhythm because of swallowing. Like you get the feeling or urge of compensating the ceasation of exhaling underwater by having both a bit of exhalation and inhalation during the lateral breathing.

I somehow got the hang of emptying my tidal volume exactly as I clear enough of my face to inhale. But somehow swallowing seems to disrupt this.

Its like when I swallow I now have a bit of exhalation during the inhalation phase of the lateral breathing.

I swallow like every 12 strokes. which is manageable. but still it will be nice to find a bit of tip how to do this systematically.

I swallow with my mouth bit open. Water doesnt get inside. hehe Its the disruption to breathing thats get me abit irritated

About the funny nose feeling. To think of it I have experience several times having snot literally hanging on my nose when swimming like its trailing. Good thing snot is not much of a hydrodynamic drag or else its a disaster.

When I do is to ignore it as much as possible not to disrupt my rhythm hehehe I have this slight urge to wipe snot off my nose ASAP.
Old 07-02-2011

Burger

heheh funny nose feeling during the swim like snot and boggers are coming because of the exhalation hehehe