Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011

Kjones0831
Default Shoulder pain

I have been nursing what seems to be a SLAP lesion in my left shoulder. I am new to swimming, and to TI. Despite the shoulder problem, I have been using the Easy Freestyle video to guide my practice sessions...with some success. I now notice a drastic difference between the two sides with respect to range of motion and control during recovery. I have performed several months of rehab on my shoulder with much improvement, but I am now considering surgery to repair the injury.

I would seriously like to attend a Freestyle Workshop, but was wondering if now would be a good time to do so? I wonder if having someone tweak my stroke might provide the ability to swim/train with less pain...until I decide whether or not to see the ortho this fall? Or would I be better served to wait and learn with a healthier shoulder...provided the surgery was successful??

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2011

steve0732

I had shoulder pain and a limited range of motion before I started swimming. I could barely get my arms out of the water in freestyle and my shoulders hurt after each session. I do not know if my injuries are similiar to yours but my range of motion increased dramatically and the pain is gone.

I iced my shoulder after each session at the beginning and swam every other day or more to allow for any residual swelling to go down.

Let pain be your guide to how often and how long to swim. If you don't see improvement then go see the doctor.

Steve
Old 05-07-2011

KenInCa

KJones,

Having a SLAP repair comes in many flavors as you probably been told or looked into. Most surgeries allow for more motion and most return to active lifestyles. Of course the more work they have to do, then the more you'll have to work on recovery.

At this time, I am having shoulder pain (hopefully not a SLAP injury) and the only thing that has helped me in continuing swimming to modify my recovery stroke. With my hand near my hips I would lead with the hand and with the elbow close by my side, versus the elbow high out of the water and leading the hand. Then when my hand is near my face/goggles it would enter the water and depending on how my shoulder was acting, I would spear the water at about 7:30 - 8:00 position (head pointing in at 9:00 on the clock face).

Yes, you will have issues with lengthening your stroke and will have to rotate a little more than normal, but for me it works for my shoulders and allows for me to breath a little easier, if I"m relaxed :)

Good luck!
Ken
Old 05-07-2011

westyswoods

KJones,

I have never heard of a SLAP lesion, will need to look it up. I was having quite severe shoulder pain several months ago. At the time about the only thing it could be attributed to was swimming. Having been a student of TI for several years I read the post referencing different reasons one may develop swimmers shoulder.

I worked on having a more efficient recovery and correct hand entry with wide tracks. The pain went away and all was fine. I say was as I sit here, just having eaten some Aleve and my shoulder is killing me. I hope this time the pain is work related, as I have been doing much logging and chain saw use plus fixing machinery while in unusual positions and using arms.

A couple of questions for you. Has there been any loss of strength? Is there specific pain with specific ROM or does it ache all the time? I am going to attempt swimming this afternoon and my guide will be if there is an increase in pain while doing so. I can always do balance drills and switch drills in place of whole stroke also.

The one piece of TI, actually one of many, which eludes me is that effortless catch and propulsion without activating the shoulders. It is getting better but I still swim the old way too much.

I highly recommend a TI workshop, although it may be advisable to find out what your long term prognosis is going to be before attending. There is not a great deal of whole stroke with the workshops, more than before. The problem will be if you have difficulty getting a good feel for the drills due to an inability to perform proper technique during the workshop. They are a challenge and one needs to be able to continue on with the imprinting after.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 05-09-2011

Kjones0831

Thanks for the advice. I do have limited range of motion in virtually every plane...flexion 120 degrees with pain, ABduction about the same...some days I have less, but many days more...but always with pain. External rotation is maybe 5-10 degrees. I have pain mostly at night unless I sleep on my stomach with my arm tucked up underneath my chest. My ROM and pain levels have improved dramatically from a year ago...but at this point, I am noticing lots of weakness and atrophy as well. I do have pain and weakness with elbow flexion as well...I can barely curl a gallon of milk.

It seems that the more I swim, the more progress that I notice...especially if I take 2-3 days off after 2-3 days of swimming. However, it does seem to increase my pain levels on a consistent basis.

I just wasn't sure whether or not I would be wasting my money taking the workshop now...or if maybe it would help to have the expert eyes to make adjustments to my technique.

Thanks again for your input!!

Kjones
Old 05-09-2011

lanceryoung
Default Supaspinatus RCT

I had surgery on my left shoulder ~5 yrs ago and surgery on my right shoulder last summer. It took about 9 months to regain my strength and flexibility after each operation. Swimming is back to par. Goodluck.
Old 05-09-2011

KenInCa
Default Surgery here you come!

Dude, you sound like you are in constant pain. Since you have pain with most resisted elbow flexion, then the SLAP is pretty progressed. PLUS you have pain when you sleep, you're muscles are atrophying and you have limited should ROM. All will be harder to rehab the longer you wait. Plus you run the risk of having a frozen shoulder, and if you think you have pain, just wait till you get a sadistic therapist cranking on your shoulder :o

Just do your homework on the right Doc, and don't be afraid to say NO, if you are unsure of the procedure. You are in control of your service, no matter what the Doc says, or is god saying, er, never mind.

Good luck,
Ken
Old 05-09-2011

steve0732

After hearing all of your problems, I think Kens advice is the best. Get it checked out by a doctor. If you can ask around for one that see many athletes. To many docs advise stopping all activities rather than working with you to get back to the sports you love.

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2011

westyswoods

Kjones

The expert eyes will surely help, although form your last post with the LROM and loss of strength I would strongly advise getting it taken care of before attending. Many aspects of TI do not involve use of the arms shoulders. Balance is the foundation of good whole stroke. Even is you should have surgery and are unable to use the arms, this drills are good and get you in the water.

If I recall correctly Terry had some major shoulder surgery and was in the water practicing balance shortly after surgery. He posted some information on his recovery. Maybe he can point us to it, as I just made an appointment with ortho this morning for my left shoulder.

I am still swimming and working to capture that effortless catch.

Keep us posted

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 05-28-2012

jacuna

Hi. Have you confirmed that what you actually had was a SLAP injury and if yes would you please share what type of adjustments to their (freestyle) stroke are swimmers expected to make to "bypass" the injury? I am already exagereting rotation and setting the scapula in motion as much as I can to free up (i.e., remove all stress from the shoulder) to the maximum extent possible the arm during recovery phase. Any tips will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInCa View Post
KJones,

Having a SLAP repair comes in many flavors as you probably been told or looked into. Most surgeries allow for more motion and most return to active lifestyles. Of course the more work they have to do, then the more you'll have to work on recovery.

At this time, I am having shoulder pain (hopefully not a SLAP injury) and the only thing that has helped me in continuing swimming to modify my recovery stroke. With my hand near my hips I would lead with the hand and with the elbow close by my side, versus the elbow high out of the water and leading the hand. Then when my hand is near my face/goggles it would enter the water and depending on how my shoulder was acting, I would spear the water at about 7:30 - 8:00 position (head pointing in at 9:00 on the clock face).

Yes, you will have issues with lengthening your stroke and will have to rotate a little more than normal, but for me it works for my shoulders and allows for me to breath a little easier, if I"m relaxed :)

Good luck!
Ken