Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > O2 in H20: Breathing Skills
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai
Default Lungs and Cat Litter

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed a tightness in the chest after working with dusty cat litter? I think it's clay dust.
Old 04-06-2009

bkjagadish

.....???..i don't know what ' cat litter ' has to do with this (TI ) swimming specific site like this ??..i hope that dear Shuumai has not posted this by mistake !!...i look forward to his insightful views on the topic...
Old 04-06-2009

lanceryoung

I always change the cat litter outside. It is bad for the lungs in a closed environment.
Old 04-06-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjagadish View Post
.....???..i don't know what ' cat litter ' has to do with this (TI ) swimming specific site like this ??..i hope that dear Shuumai has not posted this by mistake !!...i look forward to his insightful views on the topic...
It is related in the same way the topic of smoking and athletic performance is related. If there is tightness in the lungs, you can't swim as well. I've experienced unusual tightness in the lungs for some unknown reason. It rarely happens, but knowing the cause would be useful. If other people have noticed a connection to dusty cat litter, that would be a clue.

I've been wanting to get a dust mask but I keep forgetting. I do change the litter outside, but the routine scooping is done inside. To make it worse, I think I breathe through my mouth to avoid the cat odours.
Old 04-08-2009

bkjagadish

...how nice !!..thank you dear Shuumai for enlightening me ...
Old 04-08-2009

Rhoda

Is it clumping or clay? Clumping seems less dusty. If your cats are short-hairs, you might try one of the plant based litters made from wheat, corn cobs, newspaper, etc. I buy a fluffy recycled newspaper stuff for our rabbit's litter box and it clumps almost like clumping bentonite cat litter. Unfortunately, our cats are long-hairs, so we can't use anything that light for them or they'd track it all over the house on their "pants".
Old 04-08-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjagadish View Post
...how nice !!..thank you dear Shuumai for enlightening me ...
BTW, I've seen people waste more bandwidth discussing whether something is on-topic or off-topic rather than just talking about whatever someone needs to talk about and getting it done. Usually that happens in technical forums. The thing is, when people get to know other people and become comfortable, related topics will come up. That's just...social; something technical people sometimes have trouble with. (Shuumai raises his hand.)

Anyway, back to the off-topic topic, and ultimately back to the on-topic topic.
Old 04-08-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
Is it clumping or clay? Clumping seems less dusty. If your cats are short-hairs, you might try one of the plant based litters made from wheat, corn cobs, newspaper, etc. I buy a fluffy recycled newspaper stuff for our rabbit's litter box and it clumps almost like clumping bentonite cat litter. Unfortunately, our cats are long-hairs, so we can't use anything that light for them or they'd track it all over the house on their "pants".
Ah. Hmm. Will consider. I was also thinking about toilet training our short-haired cats. It's the new cat that just walked in the door one day that is causing most of the litter box work for me. (Darn cat!)