Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Favorite Practices and Sets
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010

Alex-SG
Default TEMPO TRAINER - Focal point to accelerate Stroke Rate?

Here is another TT question for my "Coaching Team..."

As you increase the frequency of the Tempo Trainer in steps (EX. SR=1.7 -> SR=1.6 -> SR=1.5) the beep sound is more frequent and you need to "stroke faster".

It would be easy to just say: "Just think about rotating the arms faster to keep up..." but is that the right focal point?

Should one focus on accelerating the Kick, or rotating the hips faster (since those trigger the stroke)?

Thanks for your view on this.... ALEX
Old 12-13-2010

KatieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-SG View Post
Here is another TT question for my "Coaching Team..."

As you increase the frequency of the Tempo Trainer in steps (EX. SR=1.7 -> SR=1.6 -> SR=1.5) the beep sound is more frequent and you need to "stroke faster".

It would be easy to just say: "Just think about rotating the arms faster to keep up..." but is that the right focal point?

Should one focus on accelerating the Kick, or rotating the hips faster (since those trigger the stroke)?

Thanks for your view on this.... ALEX
This tip from CoachSuzanne really helped me: Just focus on speeding up the recovery arm and leaving everything else the same. (That will cause the rest of the stroke to speed up as well, but don't think about that.)

The other thing is to just go for it. The first few times you do it, your stroke will feel sloppy. You'll notice a lot more bubbles, for one thing. You'll also be expending more energy than you're used to. Don't worry about any of that--you can practice refinements once you are able to keep up with the beep.

I'd try 1.3 if I were you. If you're having trouble synchronizing to the beep, it's tempting to really slow it down. But, it may be that you're just having trouble with synchronizing, not with stroking faster. I think it's easier to synchronize to faster tempos.
Old 12-15-2010

Alex-SG

Sounds like a great FOCAL POINT, thanks.

Will definetily try that.

My concern is that when trying to accelerate the stroke one may start losing coordination between Kick, hip drive, arms.

In other words could it be that stroking faster may affect a nice rotation driven stroke and turn it into a FLAT, arm only stroke?

That's why I was thinking whether another focal point could also be used to maintain the rotation at faster stroke rates. Perhaps synchronizing the BEEP with the hip drive?

ALEX
Old 12-15-2010

haschu33

Quote:
...In other words could it be that stroking faster may affect a nice rotation driven stroke and turn it into a FLAT, arm only stroke? ...
I wouldn't worry about that. When you use your arms in freestyle your body rotates as an effect of the arm movements anyway. Try it out: it is not so easy to keep the body flat. I think it is easier to over-rotate than to under-rotate.

And when you are used to a coordinated hip-drive, rotation, 2bk etc this will not leave you when swimming faster.

Good luck! It's fun to swim slowly (lovely gliding), but it is even more fun to swim faster...
Old 12-15-2010

LilBeav

It helps me to focus on my lead hand being at a certain place in the stroke when it beeps. Sometimes I focus on recovery hand entry into water, other times I time the beep to full extension and initiation of the anchoring move.
Old 12-16-2010

KatieK

Quote:
My concern is that when trying to accelerate the stroke one may start losing coordination between Kick, hip drive, arms.

In other words could it be that stroking faster may affect a nice rotation driven stroke and turn it into a FLAT, arm only stroke?
This is a really great blog post by Louis Tharp that discusses the trade-off between more rotation vs. faster speed.
http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/T...-For-Bill.html
Old 12-16-2010

johnny.widen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
This is a really great blog post by Louis Tharp that discusses the trade-off between more rotation vs. faster speed.
http://www.totalimmersion.net/blog/T...-For-Bill.html
In the blog Louis repeatedly talks about stacked hip position. What exactly does that mean?

(Searching for it only points back to Louis's blog ;-)

-- Johnny
Old 12-16-2010

Richardsk

Hi Johnny

Stacked hips would be hips that are effectively vertical in the water. In the early days of Total Immersion, perhaps as a slight exaggeration to achieve the ideal position, a greater degree of rotation was recommended than is recommended today.

Richard
Old 12-16-2010

johnny.widen

Thanks Richard!

Yes, the hips stacked on top of each other. Quite obvious when I see your explanation.

-- Johnny
Old 12-26-2010
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:

That's why I was thinking whether another focal point could also be used to maintain the rotation at faster stroke rates. Perhaps synchronizing the BEEP with the hip drive?

ALEX
Alex,

Try doing rounds like this:
4 x 25 coordinate beep with hand entry
4 x 25 hip drive
4 x 25 toe flick

As you swim, you may discover other parts of the stroke you want to experiment with timing. For me timing the beep with forward extension in the water was helpful as well.

Experiment and see what feels good. At each tempo that is new to you, you may feel some loss of focus and /or form. That's OK, just choose a focal point to use for a 25, then a 50, then a 75, then a 100 for a single tempo and give your brain plenty of rest to process it.
Coach of 5 time USA Triathlon Triathlete of the Year, Kirsten Sass
Steel City Endurance, LTD
Fresh Freestyle