Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013

michll
Default Perhaps treading water is not for me...

Hello! My name is Michelle -- I'm 25 years old. I first posted here several years ago, didn't know a thing for swimming, grew up with a deep fear of water. Now, finally, recently, I've grown to love the water, thanks to a great instructor, practice on my own, and regular access to a free neighborhood pool. I find no issue waking up nearly every morning for a session. Never imagined my life would end up this way.

So far, in 18 days and 10 pool sessions, I've learned:

*Flutter kick
*Floating on my front
*Floating on my back (sweet spot, active balance included! I started reading Terry's book on my own and brought it to my practice sessions)
*Fingertip Drag
*Take side breaths every third stroke (still not too peaceful or smooth, but in time)

etc etc can't think of all the other things

HOWEVER!! I STILL CAN'T DEAL WITH THAT PESKY DEEP END!!

I am 5'4'' on a good day, I have muscly legs as I am a soccer player, and I seem to sink like a rock when I try to tread.

My instructor has given me so many tips for my legs and hands and I practice daily, but I wonder if it's just not possible for some people. I've also read about treading water and tried those tips and taken many a tip from strangers, haha. I wonder if it's one of those things that will just click like floating and everything else has...but I'm nearing frustration and I feel like learning to swim is somewhat ineffectual if I can't even stay above water that goes deeper than 5 feet.

I want to feel completely comfortable in the water. Maybe be able to dive in it some day.

Help?

Any thoughts/ideas are welcome. :) Thank you for listening.

-M
Old 09-19-2013

ananthaditya

Hey, Michelle,

Are you saying swimming in deep water is not a problem, but treading is?
Becomes established in himself.'

Ananth Aditya
Freelance writer, editor,
and aspiring novelist.
Old 09-19-2013

michll

Yes, exactly! I can swim, but I get pretty panicky in the deep end, mostly because I think if I stop swimming or mess up breathing rhythm, I will drown and die. :)
Old 09-19-2013

Ron Bear

When I was a child, my friends and I used to have contests to tread water holding a concrete block. I can tread with hands only or feet only and I can tread my navel out of the water (briefly). The biggest trick to treading water is that your hands and feet scull. Your hands should be just at your rib cage. As you bring the hands towards the center, your thumbs should be up. As you move away from center your pinkies should be up. But you are not pressing down at all. Just move in and out at approximately the line of your rib cage. When performed correctly you will feel lots of down pressure, but your hands aren’t actually moving down. Your feet should move in a circle. Feet in, then back, then forward and in. For all I know you are already doing all of this correctly but just not well enough to support your weight. If you tip your head back so that only your mouth is out of the water then less propulsion is needed. Since you can already swim on your back then I think you could practice the tread water sculling motion on your back first and then go vertical as you develop your power. The easiest way to practice the circular foot sculling is to hold your breath under water and do that kick (and nothing else) for ten to fifteen feet before you get another breath and try it again.
Old 09-19-2013

ananthaditya

Since you said you already have a lot of pointers on how to tread, you might wanna tackle this from a different angle. Maybe if you tried the Dead Man's Float closer and closer to the deep end while stroking back to your comfort zone, you'll feel more at ease and find the seat of water. Good luck.
Becomes established in himself.'

Ananth Aditya
Freelance writer, editor,
and aspiring novelist.
Old 09-19-2013

dgk2009

I got over most of my fear of the deep end by doing bobs,exhale through your nose sink down just inches at first then a liitle deeper over time till now I can sit on the bottom of the pool before coming back up,believe me at first this freaked me out so bad I didn't think I could do it,but over time was able to do it and now it relaxes me.
Old 09-19-2013

Ron Bear

After I thought about it a little more I realized that you could practice the hand sculling motion while standing or kneeling so that only your head is out. That way you could experiment with lifting your feet without being concerned about air. See what I mean? If you lift your feet and sink too far then just put them back down. Like practicing the balance of standing on one foot by standing at the wall and gradually using less wall pressure and more balance until you can take your hand off the wall for a moment and then moments and then completely. Scull better until you can take your feet off the bottom for a moment then moments then forever.
Old 09-21-2013

daveblt

The thing to remember is that if you can swim in three feet of water you can swim in three hundred feet . It does not matter how deep it is , it is all in the mind . However you mentioned that you can float on you back so if the moment comes that you don't feel comfortable roll over on your back until you can continue.

Dave
Old 09-21-2013

andyinnorway

for me its about being human. There are so many things we do that have potential danger, driving the car, cutting vegetables, wiring a light socket, taking a plane ride, even walking under a building. It's human to understand what 'could' happen but its also good to acknowledge that it didn't.

As you do things over and over we normalize them and accept them until they are no longer a worry for us, even though the absolute danger levels are the same. I think you would be better practicing floating on your back and 'enjoying' it. the first time you might only enjoy it for a second or two, then tell yourself you survived and look forward to enjoying it for a second or two longer next time. Eventually the time spent enjoying the deep end will be longer than the time at the side and something you feared will become something you love.

I did this with my 5 year old son recently. He wants to sit on my shoulders but when he does he grabs my head or neck so hard I find it too uncomfortable to have him up there, so instead we practiced him relaxing and taking his hands away for 2 or 3 seconds at a time. After a while he forgot when his hands were touching and when they are relaxed and decided he could trust me to have him up there (which his younger sister did from the first time hence why he wanted to be up there in the first place)

I hope that helps and makes sense its early in the morning here.