Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012

wmercene
Default balancing...

I really wanna learn it step by step and currently working on just being relaxed and balancing. I can float on my back, kick gently and go for 25 yards easily. I can float facing down but can only go 10-15 feet. Does that mean I should work more on it, until I get to do the same thing (floating, relaxing and kicking gently for 25 yards) before I can proceed to the next step?
Old 09-13-2012

westyswoods

Don't equate floating and moving comfortably on your back with being able to do the same while face down. Two completely different animals. I would suggest if you are at ease on your back use that as a feeling baseline, not as movement or proficiency comparable to face down.

Continue to do both with the majority of time spent on relaxation,superman glide and streamline. Move forward with the next step and see how it goes.

I after five years still revert back to those basics you refer to. They seem to be a nice start for a pool session. Another point which is made frequently is that one does not have to move from one end of the pool to the other. I for one spend a good portion of my drill time in the shallow end, 10-15 m.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy

PS Welcome to the site, much valuable information is shared with others. If you choose, please share some info about yourself and swim history.

Westy

Last edited by westyswoods : 09-13-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Welcome
Old 09-16-2012

wmercene

Hi West, thanks for the response. Let me give you a little bit more info about me. I'm a 33 year old male, never really consider myself a good swimmer although can float (back) and swim (with my head up) a very short distance and I haven't swam in a decade and a half (I think that's about right).

I just got the dvd's (perpetual motion freestyle in 10 lessons and 02 in H20) last week and officially started doing the lesson 1 drills of the PMF dvd yesterday. I've been in the pool the last two weeks (6 times a week) getting myself comfortable in the water and trying to figure out what I can do and what not.

Last edited by wmercene : 09-16-2012 at 03:26 PM.