Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2009

rwilkes
Default Underswitch/breathing

Hi all,

I got very frustrated today in the pool doing underswitch. Firstly, i seem to sink slightly when doing this drill, which in turn does not help with breathing. I seem to get out of breath very easily, and when I practice full swim, i dont think i could do more than 50m without being out of breath.

I cant seem to grasp the concept of core rotation to move forward. Is it a king of "snap" rotate of the hips ????

I know patience is the key aswell as practice.

Also, would just like to know your thoughts on balance drill, ie, on my back as per the book. But on several threads on here, i seem to here about "superman" drill ??? Is this in the next book ???

Back to the pool tomorrow !!!
Old 02-18-2009

asbarden

There is some new thinking/teaching on this. I was initially confused when I started studying the Easy Freestyle DVD because it did not precisely correspond with the revised edition of the TI book. For example, underswitch is now called spearswitch, and the focus points are somewhat modified. You can get the handbook that goes with the DVD, for free, by going to the top menu bar and clicking on "Free Stuff." If you look at that, you'll be able to see how it does and does not correspond to what you've already learned from the book. You'll also probably be able to decide if you'd like to get a copy of the DVD.
The coaches and experts on this forum will have better advice than I. However, speaking for me only, I find it helps me to breathe in sweet spot when I'm first trying a new drill, or a new focus during an old drill. Then, when I'm more comfortable with the sensations (or have it "imprinted" as Terry says), then I start adding rhythmic breathing. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2009

daveblt

If your rotated too far on your side you will sink more .Roll to clear the shoulder and lean in to find support from the water. How often do you breathe? You could try breathing every other stroke ,make sure you exhale fully .

Dave
Old 02-19-2009
Coach

CoachJohnB

Try this, instead of using your hips to do the actual rotation, let your arm thatis coming forward to the skating position, lead your rotation.

I think you will find that you still rotate but have a better connection, without the over-rotation. I think tooo many people only focus on their hips rotating from side to side, without really tying into the movement of the arms as well.

So, try focusing on letting your extending arm be what pulls you onto your side, not your hips. If the timing is right, the body movements will still feel as one unit, not hips then arms. Whole body timing is more important than just hip timing or arm timing.
Old 02-19-2009

rwilkes

Thanks guys for your advice, this is the beauty of this forum, there is help !!

Yes, i have got the old edition of the book and here in the UK, i have a feeling the DVD is different also. So, i downloaded the free manual and tried superman glide today, balance felt a bit better today.

I try to breath every 3 strokes, but i cant do more than 50m without being out of breath. I dont think i am exhaling enough. I think i also need to relax more.

Thanks coachjonb, i will definately try to relate core movement with my extended arm. Just out of interest, i am thinking of not doing any freestyle at all and just concentrate on the drills. I say this because each time i do a length swimming, trying to put into practice the feelings from drills, i seem to sink when doing recovery - therefore my balance is still not right.

What does anyone else think on this ??? Drills/swim or just drills ???

Once again, thanks.
Old 02-19-2009

kevhash3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilkes View Post

I try to breath every 3 strokes, but i cant do more than 50m without being out of breath. I dont think i am exhaling enough. I think i also need to relax more.
Just out of interest, i am thinking of not doing any freestyle at all and just concentrate on the drills. I say this because each time i do a length swimming, trying to put into practice the feelings from drills, i seem to sink when doing recovery - therefore my balance is still not right.

What does anyone else think on this ??? Drills/swim or just drills ???

Once again, thanks.
rwilkes I had the same problem with being out of breath after every 50m that I would do. Try some interval training 5 x 50m with 30 seconds rest after every 50m. This has greatly improved my endurance and for the first time I started doing sets of 100m this past week. I never thought I would get to 100m but it will happen eventually just like conditioning in any other sport. Also I have to continually remind myself to relax my breath and breathe normal which helps keep my breathing under control instead of having a feeling of gasping for air every time I breathe.

As for sinking during your recovery phase, I found that when this was happening to me I was dropping my lead arm instead of keeping it out in front of my body in a good streamlined position and leaning into the water with my torso.

I don't think that there is any problem with doing drills and whole stroke as long as you focus on keeping good form instead of imprinting bad habits into your muscle memory. Anyways keep up the good work it sounds to me like you are doing great and are right on track. Happy swimming!
Old 02-19-2009
Coach

CoachJohnB

If you are sinking while swimming, make sure your recovering arm isn't moving to slow above water or even worse, STOPPED. People will start to raise the arm to recover, pause it in the back briefly, then start to move it forward slowly, this will throw off your balance and cause you to have weight stuck above an unbalanced body, which results in your sinking.

The recovery should be a flowing movement. The right recovery will add a rythm to your swimming.

Try doing a length of a drill with a focal point, then a length of swimming with the same focal point. As you become better at getting the focal point on the drill length and the swim length, add a second swim length, then a third and so on.

There is nothing wrong with swimming, just try to mimic the sensations you get while drilling.
Old 02-19-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevhash3 View Post
rwilkes I had the same problem with being out of breath after every 50m that I would do. Try some interval training 5 x 50m with 30 seconds rest after every 50m. This has greatly improved my endurance and for the first time I started doing sets of 100m this past week.
Hey! That's the interval I designed! hehe I'm glad it worked. (I think most of it is training the mind, really.)

How many 100's are you doing now?

I've been doing 2x100y crawl and breaststroke. Unfortunately, I think I can swim further than I can run. I still only do 25's of butterfly and a little backstroke though.
Old 02-19-2009

ny1301

Coach Jonh rightly caught a problem I had. I believe I got the pause/stop arm problem because when I watched the old DVD (and some Hollywood movies such as "Matrix"), I thought it was cool to just hang my recovery arm above my head, and gliding ... but I was sinking instead :(

I follow Terry's instruction in the book: if I cannot keep the form, I stop and take some rest, be it 10sec or 30seconds or minutes, until I feel physically and mentally confident again. If I feel I have not got much exercise in the session, I go to treadmill afterwards. Do not ruin your form because you want to lose some weight :)
Old 02-19-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny1301 View Post
If I feel I have not got much exercise in the session, I go to treadmill afterwards. Do not ruin your form because you want to lose some weight :)
I was thinking something similar yesterday. Maybe it would be good to build some aerobic capacity on a rowing machine or bike instead of becoming tired while swimming which might lead to bad form.

I have access to a full workout room, but up until now, I've only used the pool. (I'm doing some light shoulder exercise with a strechy cord at the moment.)