Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009

ames
Default How easy should this be?

Like a lot of others on this forum, I am at the point where I am trying to incorporate the rhythmic breathing into my stroke. It is getting better and I can do 25 yds. with some ease. But then I need a little break. With all the talk of ease and effortlessness on this forum I guess I am expecting that one day I will get my balance, relaxation, 2bk, and breathing just right, and I will have a breaththrough and be able to swim non-stop for as long as I want. I wonder, am I expecting too much? I am a 37 year old woman, have always considered myself athletic, but honestly have not done any cardio for months and wonder if that may be holding my swimming back. To test that theory I swam the laziest breaststroke I could (breathing is easy for me in bs) to see how far I could go and I only did two laps. So, do any non-triathletes want to weigh in? How effortless is this when you get it right? (In the meantime I will be hitting the treadmill.)

ames
Old 12-22-2009

splashingpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
Like a lot of others on this forum,
So, do any non-triathletes want to weigh in?
How effortless is this when you get it right? (In the meantime I will be hitting the treadmill.)

ames
I can swim breaststroke
all day long
the breathing is a breeze on this one!
but
never ever the crawl!

hitting the land is a great idea....when I walk the park for a hour...
I lost weight..
ain't as easy for me in the water....
i thnk my body is use to the water Not THE LAND!

So I am enjoying walking the park
and learning to use my body as an instrument...and enjoying
belly dance, but it moves all parts hips, chest from toe to head!.
and it's FUN! and just maybe a guys eye will thnk it so, too!

I'm 52
Pat

ya can use the water for aerobics
just keep the head
above and get creative or ask a water instructor....there are ways!
work it but don't worry about traveling! it works too! but land has
challenges and I need the gym sometimes i just don't want to get cod & wet!

and if you ask any belly dancer instructor...
they are the ones that think they can catch the guy's eye first!
don't know why? sure guarantee to make ya laugh!

ya don't need words for being
a rainbow, mermaid or belly dancing...
and the all priceless!

and besides since we are teaching the TRI'S...
Maybe they could shed a little lite too! the land dudes!

Last edited by splashingpat : 12-22-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2009

harling
Default How easy should this be

I have never contributed to this forum before as I am totally untrained re. swimming or fitness and haven't done serious fitness training, since school. But you asked for some info re. what to expect and if fitness is a factor. Certainly in my case it isn't much I would say. I am now 51. I only started swimming in earnest from Easter 08, that is three times a week for 30 minutes each, so not very serious compared to some of the people on this site. At first I only did breast stroke, and no TI (hadn't heard of it). I found that within a week or so I could swim a few lengths - up to 10 and sometimes more and within a month or two I could easily do 10-20 or so lengths. It was all in the breathing and taking it fairly easily. My breakthrough was simply to decide to go for it, and not try and race. After a few lengths I got my second wind and could soon go on for as long as I liked. I would say that as an unfit middle aged man, never having been taught to swim (except not to drown, when I was eight) that if I could do it, most people could; though I do have a v. low blood pressure and resting heart rate of 60 bts per min.

Until Nov 08 I couldn't do more than two lengths of crawl. However I had been concentrating for a month or so just on trying to breathe just for a length or two. Then I decided to only swim crawl. I had had a few false starts, doing 6 or so lengths (and being really impressed when my daughter did 18). In Nov however, I did 50 lengths when again I decided to go for it. After 6 or so lengths I just clicked into a rhythm. After this I have done 50 lengths (25m) at least three times per week - pretty slowly as it takes me 30 minutes - and 40 mins to do a mile. For me it was all about the breathing, getting so it was easy. Sometime in 2009 (I can't remember exactly when), I discovered TI and have been working on 1. Extending my arm to breathe (this was about Easter 2009) and strained my neck. Now it feels sooo smooth breathing to my left side and keeping my right arm extended (I am right handed) 2. My recovery 3. Bilateral breathing (still struggling with this), 4. not fishtailing, 5. Two beat kick.... Loads of other things....

Though there is something very satisfying about doing lengths, it is very important not to imprint bad habits, and I have been trying to resist the temptation to only do uninterrupted lengths. I have always tried to focus on what I am doing when I swim. Because I had taught myself freestyle it was (is!!!) awful to look at (I videod myself) - crossing over, not streamlined...and it is taking me a while to unlearn them (plus no flexibility in my shoulders at all). I had picked up bad habits after only 1 year! TI has been helpful more for the Kaizan approach, the feeling that I should swim with ease rather than the drills which are difficult to do at times in the pool I go to, though I do do them. NB My wife has never been taught crawl, hasn't heard read anything about TI (and won't) and does 40 or so fairly easily. Similar time line to me.She has never done any training or exercise other than swimming. - she is a few years younger than me (not that many). Main thing is not to experience struggle, but to relax while swimming.

Happy Christmas from England. Sorry for being verbose.
Old 12-22-2009

splashingpat
Default verbose wording! i'm learning too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harling View Post
Sorry for being verbose.

hey
we all can't be silent!
Thanks because now I learned another word for my vocabulary !

Last edited by splashingpat : 12-27-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2009

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post
How effortless is this when you get it right? (In the meantime I will be hitting the treadmill.)

ames
I would be careful about using a treadmill to get ready to swim. The TI approach is designed to take the big muscles in the legs out of the equation. Or at least minimize their impactl. I'm a runner and do 20-25 miles a week. I'm convinced that it is holding me back because even a 2BK causes my body to devote a disproportionate amount of resources to the legs than the core and upper body. If I were just starting out and could control my weight any other way, I would use one of the hand cycle machines to build cardio conditioning.

If you can build or naturally have flexible lungs, TI can be pretty effortless. That's because you can take in relatively large amount of air and feel pretty comfortable as you glide in streamline with your head in the water. On the otherhand, it still takes energy to move your arm through water and if you breathe more frequently as you build a heart rate, you are going to have to get used to doing more with less. That's where relaxation and technique come in. Women in general are more buoyant than men, so I think you have an easier time than the guys. So I think there is a good chance that if you take up TI in earnest that I will reading how you can swim a mile in about 6 months to a year.
Old 12-24-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

OK. I am not one of the untrained that you asked for, but I have evidence that fitness is not the answer to greater ease. Lately, due to a series of difficult timings I have lead the life of an overworked couch potato. I have not had a practice in 3 months. And actually, several years ago, due to injuries, I had been out for several years. I can get back in the water and swim as long as I like with ease.

I believe the answer is in totally trusting the water to support you so you can totally relax then develop awareness of many parts of the stroke. This is a more extreme statement than most people can imagine. Before I took a workshop, I read all of Terry's writings for 20 years. I also studied martial arts for 32 years. All of that study stressed relaxation. When I got to the workshop, I found a level of ease that still completely surprised me. I believe it was because I began to notice all the little things I was doing to support myself. I learned to eliminate all of them and really give in to the water.
Old 12-26-2009
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

I've mentioned this several times on this Forum. Exercise researcher Dr Mike Joyner of the Mayo Clinic said that how far or fast you can swim will be determined 80% or more by your efficiency. For running how far or fast you can go will be determined 80% or more by your mileage.
General fitness training - like elliptical machine - will do nothing at all to make swimming easier. Only training that is designed to increase your efficiency will do that.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story
Old 12-26-2009

ewa.swimmer

I am definitly a non-triathlete. At 53, I totally enjoy out swimming people who are half my age and I know can over power me on land. At this point I know I'm not the fastest but I can go really far. What bothered me most after a 7K swim was not my muscles but my throat was raw from "gargling" salt water for 2 and a half hours. I know from looking around me everytime I do an OW race that its efficiency not power that lets you swim farther.
Old 12-26-2009

Rhoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer View Post
...At 53, I totally enjoy out swimming people who are half my age and I know can over power me on land. At this point I know I'm not the fastest but I can go really far...
Ha ha! Me too! I love seeing the shocked expressions on the faces of fit young triathlete types as I go by.
The fact that the o.p. mentioned she couldn't swim more than a few laps of breast-stroke either makes me wonder if she's having a bit of asthma from the pool chemicals. The only time I have trouble breathing while swimming is when my seasonal asthma flares up.
Old 12-26-2009

ames

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachEricD View Post
I believe the answer is in totally trusting the water to support you so you can totally relax then develop awareness of many parts of the stroke...

When I got to the workshop, I found a level of ease that still completely surprised me. I believe it was because I began to notice all the little things I was doing to support myself. I learned to eliminate all of them and really give in to the water.
Yes, I think this is what I need to focus on. It is one thing to talk about relaxation and another thing to really do it (or not do)... I will focus my next practices on "giving in" to the water.

Thanks to all for your supportive responses. I know I will get there, just needed a little encouragement I guess.