Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009

dwag4life

You can do it! Of all the things you mentioned above; balance, relaxation, 2bk, and breathing, for me the most challenging was balance. Balance and relaxation kind of go hand in hand with me then after that breathing is the current challenge. You didn't mention how long you have been working on TI. I am by no means a coach, but if you don't feel balanced, I would revisit the early drills to work on balance. I found it after working the skating drill a while.
Rhoda could be on to something too. I am a lifelong asthmatic, and the last time I went for my asthma checkup, my doctor said swimming is great for the lungs, but indoor pools with all the chemicals trapped in the air can cause it to flare up.
Old 12-27-2009
TI Coach

CoachEricDeSanto

dwag4life's post brought back a little exercise I do with some students to highlight the necessity to always think about balance. Stand up with your feet together and just pay attention to how much you wobble. It is almost impossible to stand completely still and not sway. And we have been standing for our whole lives. Yet when we swim, most of us want to think about balance for a few days and expect to get it. If your brain constantly makes adjustments to balance on land, it makes sense that it will require constant refreshers in the water.
Old 12-28-2009

mrauth

While I agree that most of the TI technique is based on form and a relaxed mental approach to swimming, being fit is a benefit in my opinion. I have trained for nearly 10 months now for triathlons and consider myself very fit but still find swimming freestyle with the TI method takes a certain amount of energy and exertion. Bear in mind I have only been using TI for a few months so I don't have it mastered but even with lots of improvement I find it takes some fitness to swim a longer distance or a main set of laps (10 x 100m for example). At the very least it does not hurt to be more fit. It likely depends on what your goals are as well.

Good luck, keep swimming, TI certainly makes swimming easier.
Old 12-28-2009

splashingpat
Default funny i never really figured it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrauth View Post
While I agree that most of the TI technique is based on form and a relaxed mental approach to swimming, being fit is a benefit in my opinion..Good luck, keep swimming, TI certainly makes swimming easier.
funny thing
Fat floats and when coming to the water!
and surprise!

you guys being dense
usually can't get it up....
but
when ya can't get it down....
creates a whole set of different problems....

usually in water aerobics ...they are OK
UNLESS
I give them a noodle

and when they don't have control!

problems
arise!
hi guys(gals)....

and sooner or later...
I have
FUN WITH IT!

Ya can't take the FUN away!
the water doesn't like serious!
but some of ya's have to find out for yourselves..i can only warn ya

liten
up
guys(gals)!

the water knows!
and so do
I!

pat

a relaxed
mental
approach!

mermaid, rainbow.
a great listener...
doesn't have to use the right words....do they? and me, as well....

ya get me sooner or later!
do n't
ya?

Last edited by splashingpat : 12-28-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-28-2009

pennyarm
Default Older swimmers and fitness

One of my teamates went form not being able to swim a length to an easy 1/2 mile in a season using just SOME of the TI technique. She's 55. So hope thrives for our age group!
Old 12-31-2009

ames
Default 2009--The Year I Learned to Swim

Fantastic swim today. I still need to take a short rest after each lap but the breathing is coming so much easier. I am realizing that maybe for me, I may not have a breaththrough and swim a mile straight, but rather I may swim 2 laps, then 3 laps, and so on until eventually it is effortless.

Here is what helped me, for any others struggling at this stage:

Relax and feel the water support you. One of my focal points was "Sink." Ha! Not sink like drown, but sink like into a big comfy bed that had some "give" but would support me.

I realized I was pushing my head down. Didn't know I was doing this until I really started working on the breathing and found the air too far away. Relax your head.

Experiment with rotation. Swim a few laps with exagerated rotation, swim a few flatter. Find what works best for YOU.

Watch someone else in the pool who has good form. I do have Terry and Shinji burned into my brain from watching them on video so many times but it is quite powerful to see someone swim the way you would like just seconds before you do it.

Try all different kinds of focal points, not just breathing-specific ones. Actually, I found that concentrating on something else made the breathing just happen on its own.

Don't swim when you're tired. You just get sloppy and frustrated and start sucking water.

Congratulation, Inca, on your breathing success. I knew you could do it.

Thanks again to Terry and everyone on this forum. There is no way I would have progressed this quickly without your help.

Happy New Year
ames
Old 01-03-2010

ikarus47
Default relaxation

I am 45, in 2006 I went from panting badly after 50m to swimming Alcatraz (1.3mi) without too much trouble; I was not aware of TI then, and just went to the pool and swam longer and longer distances (it took me about 8 weeks of preparation- I have always been comfortable in water).
Now with TI I have improved steadily, I second many of the things said above.
Things I would stress is 'relaxation'; my best and easiest lap is always the first one after drills when I start swimming, good form translates to efficiency and ease (and speed).
If breaststroke is your stroke, the gliding phase right after the leg kick can be extended and you can practice a brief moment of (almost complete) relaxation, which goes a long way to recharging your muscles.
Similarly in freestyle there is a short moment when the body is most extended that can be quite relaxed, and where a short glide phase can result in a bit of a re- charge.
I also agree with the emphasis on breathing, even without a coaching eye I nevertheless see so many swimmers who noticeably lift their torso out of the water when taking a breath. This takes a large amount of energy, it is completely wasted if you can allow the water to carry you, and I imagine it can result in shoulder injuries.
I think the thing that helped me the most this past year was to get comfortable with alternate side breathing.
Good luck to all, I like you have a long way to go, but I can see a path to improvement.
Andreas.
Old 01-06-2010

Zanna

For me, the proof that there is ease with the proper balance and technique is that I can swim endlessly when breathing to my right, but, when breathing to my left, I become breathless before completing a 50 m length. This is evidence of a balance issue and not a fitness issue.
Old 01-06-2010

elk-tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
For me, the proof that there is ease with the proper balance and technique is that I can swim endlessly when breathing to my right, but, when breathing to my left, I become breathless before completing a 50 m length. This is evidence of a balance issue and not a fitness issue.
I have the same issue. I'm actually at the point where I can swim "endlessly" while breathing on my left, but it feels like throwing a ball with my left hand. I think I've been swimming completely asymmetrically.