Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009

Jean Bury
Default Beginner's Conused! Help

Ok, I re-read the posts on kicking, watched the utube video of the olympic swimmer, and went to the lake yesterday and did this:

As my left hip drove down, my left arm had just finished sliding down past my ear and then past towards extension my left leg kicked down. Then repeat except on the right side. I noticed that because I was slightly rolled during hip drive, my feet at the kick were not perfectly perpendicular to the bottom, but slightly to the side.

That's what I was doing, and it felt pretty good. Then I read again these posts on kicking, and now feel a bit confused: Some posts seemed to say, left side in unison, then right and other posts seemed to say the opposite. But it could be that others were making sure we all knew what was supposed to go on with the other side (the non-diving side/the side you're not rotating to). And then again, it can be so hard to describe synchronous movement and the later try to translate that to actual movement in the water, so.....maybe that's why I am confused.

Or it's because I am developing a cold, but I sure want to get the kick at least visualized in my head correctly because the swim season here is nearly at the end. Help! Suggestions, video links, anything!!!!!
Old 09-17-2009

atreides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Bury View Post
Ok, I re-read the posts on kicking, watched the utube video of the olympic swimmer, and went to the lake yesterday and did this:

As my left hip drove down, my left arm had just finished sliding down past my ear and then past towards extension my left leg kicked down. Then repeat except on the right side. I noticed that because I was slightly rolled during hip drive, my feet at the kick were not perfectly perpendicular to the bottom, but slightly to the side.

!!!!
That's pretty much it except you will learn to be a little earlier on the kick. I think if you kick as you are anchoring, then rotate, you will notice you have little or no pressure as you pull. In other words all of your propulsion is coming from the kick/core rotation while your arm levers the water. But for now, just make sure you are kicking on the same side that you are pulling ( and it sounds like you are) and you will be fine.
Old 09-17-2009

haschu33
Default Beginner's explanation - hope it helps...

Well, as a beginner and not able to do a 2bk (yet), I am not in the position to advise - so I took the 'easy Freestyle DVD' and played it frame by frame to see what Terry is doing.

Looks like this:

He's in skating position, left hand spearing, both legs float motionless behind. So, it's a spear switch. Next action would be to drive the right hip down, left hip up, right arm into spearing and left arm anchoriing/catching.
What happens:
His left leg slowly moves up, the right hand moves forward, and the left arm starts to catch. His hips and body still are rotated to the left side, so left hip is still down, right hip and shoulder still up.
Next: the right hand is almost all the way in front, the left arm is at nearly 90 degrees in the catch - than the left leg kicks down (from this more 'up' position, where it slowly has moved to), with it the left hip coming up/right hip (+shoulder) down, right arm spearing in front, left arm at the thighs.

In other words: when he rotates, he uses the leg opposite to the arm that is about to spear, or, still other words, same side leg as the arm that is to be catching. And he is preparing the kick (down) with a preparation of bringing it to a more upward position to kick from there.
The leg is moving slowly up and than swiftly kicking down.

I was surprised how late his kick and hip rotation is, it actually occurs when the spearing hand is already way in front and the other hand is already catching. So sort of in the last moment, as it looks like.

Jean Bury, seems you are doing exactly that. Terry's legs are slighty to the side also during the kick. So, no worry.
Old 09-18-2009

jan ameling

Hi Inca,

I'm not an expert or anything, just a newcomer to total immersion. That having said, please take a look at TI coach Shinji Takeuchi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

Notice that when his right hand spears (enters the water), His left leg snaps/kicks. When his left hand spears, his right leg will snap/kick. This snap/kick (whatever you want to call it) contributes to body rotation.
Also, just forget about pulling; it's much easier to remember it this way. Good luck and I hope you're improving just as much as I am.

Regards, Jan

Last edited by jan ameling : 09-18-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-18-2009

Rhoda

Some people find it's easier to think in terms of coordinating the kick with the catch, on the same side. Your kick is at it's widest point as your catching hand is just about to leave the water again.