Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Freestyle
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012

WFEGb

Hi Charles,

an additional question: Are the casual paddling forearms just for balance support or used for propulsion a little bit?

I'll give it a try next days, so please don't unravel the mystery too soon...

Regards,
Werner
Old 10-19-2012

jenson1a
Default I'll Bite

Charles--you asked what does this drill tell us.

What I got was that you don't need to kick in order to rotate your hips.

but I have always been a wannbe--the one thing I do have is persistence (like a bulldog!)

Sherry
Old 10-19-2012

CharlesCouturier

What I was going to explain is that what you actually see when you look at this clip is:

1. A swimmer performing some body rotation, which like you smartly point out has nothing to do with the leg kick.

2. That body rotation is transmitting some of its power down to the limbs, therefore this drill strongly features the Inside-out swimming concept.

3. So to answer Werner's question, most of the rotation is independent from the sculling action. I say most, because there remains an extremely mysterious component to the sculling action which does impact on the BR, making it little rounder.

That drill to me is a democratic one. It doesn't require flexibility. It doesn't require power. Most people are equal in regards to their ability to perform it. Nevertheless, like I mentioned, swimmers do get the drill within the first 5min of trying it. Non swimmers (especially those with a weaker feel for water) seem to constantly fail at booking it. I'd pay at least 100$ US by funds transfer to anyone that can explain me why.

Until I understand, all I can say is that slow swimmers (wanna be) struggle in learning the drill, and sound swimmers get it almost instantaneously. What is it that swimmers do?

The most common mistake (and by far), is to perform the drill reversed, ie pushing with the sculling action to get the body to rotation. Very hard to break this pattern.
Old 10-19-2012

Amerrizvi

"Inside-out swimming..."

WOW...that's turned my tiny swimming world upside down!!!

Thanks so much for the video...back to the drawing board
Old 10-19-2012

Amerrizvi

PS Thanks again...You've most likely saved me an ankle injury as I was planning to try a drill in the pool tomorrow of smashing my feet in the water and spearing the opposite arm, full force, to create the hip drive.
And I'm a novice swimmer.
Old 10-19-2012

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerrizvi View Post
PS Thanks again...You've most likely saved me an ankle injury as I was planning to try a drill in the pool tomorrow of smashing my feet in the water and spearing the opposite arm, full force, to create the hip drive.
And I'm a novice swimmer.
LOL you're funny.

Take all my theories for what they're worth, ie coming out of the mouth of a non ti coach. But I think some of this is valid to your TI stroke, to some extent at least.

I propose, you guys cherry pick, throw the rest in the garbage.

But I truly don't think that one has to kick hard in order to swim at slow to moderate tempo. Only when one wants to attack 2bk aggressively, in rates that go above 1.0, then one may benefit from using a bit of the kicking action to trigger faster switch from side to side...

At low to moderate speed, it's definitely possible to rotate without kicking very hard.
Old 10-19-2012

westyswoods
Default Yup Need To Try This

Due to illness I've not been in the pool for almost three weeks. Hope to jump back in tomorrow and get a good week in before surgery next Friday, takes me out another week or two. I have watched this video several times, being intrigued with the propulsion generated. Must try at least it should be good for a laugh, as those who follow my post know my lack of coordination.

The sculling must be a major piece as I see it.

Charles how does this go without the PB. I plan on trying with no PB and using a center mount snorkel. This should prove interesting.

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy
Old 10-20-2012

andyinnorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier View Post
What I was going to explain is that what you actually see when you look at this clip is:

1. A swimmer performing some body rotation, which like you smartly point out has nothing to do with the leg kick.

2. That body rotation is transmitting some of its power down to the limbs, therefore this drill strongly features the Inside-out swimming concept.

3. So to answer Werner's question, most of the rotation is independent from the sculling action. I say most, because there remains an extremely mysterious component to the sculling action which does impact on the BR, making it little rounder.

That drill to me is a democratic one. It doesn't require flexibility. It doesn't require power. Most people are equal in regards to their ability to perform it. Nevertheless, like I mentioned, swimmers do get the drill within the first 5min of trying it. Non swimmers (especially those with a weaker feel for water) seem to constantly fail at booking it. I'd pay at least 100$ US by funds transfer to anyone that can explain me why.

Until I understand, all I can say is that slow swimmers (wanna be) struggle in learning the drill, and sound swimmers get it almost instantaneously. What is it that swimmers do?

The most common mistake (and by far), is to perform the drill reversed, ie pushing with the sculling action to get the body to rotation. Very hard to break this pattern.
Isn't the reason why swimmers do this easier than no swimmers down to the control of the core stability muscles?
Old 10-20-2012

AnnaGriffith

I am going to check it.Contains all relevant topics.
Old 10-20-2012

Richardsk

There is no space for spam here.