Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Links and References
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009

shuumai
Send a message via Skype™ to shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
The gender issue has always been a big one as well. For instance, I recall speaking to a couple of guys at my local pool about some of the women who workout there. I commented that their form and technique showed they had a lot of experience in competition. One man, followed up with, "yeah and the blond has a great a@# too!" I told him that had nothing to do with anything and that if he and the woman were to race she'd blow him out of the water. His response was typical of a neanderthal, "well at least I can enjoy viewing her butt in front of me!"
I don't see a problem with this. It's hormones. I'm sure female swimmers think, 'Wow, he is a good swimmer and check out his abs!' (Not about me. haha) I'm sure the last thing the average woman wants to hear is, 'Yeah, you're a brilliant swimmer and I could never be as good as you are, but, no, I don't find you attractive at all.'
Old 03-17-2009

AuntChilada

Yes, body evaluations probably do go both ways. However, I can note that the skimpiness of swimming attire contributed to my shying away from the sport for a long time. I've always felt very self-conscious walking out to the pool. It wasn't until I realized that you could accessorize your swimming suit so that it's not so revealing that I really started to enjoy swimming. You'll usually find me wearing a swimming skirt over my suit and sometimes even a rashguard. It ruins the hydrodynamics, but preserves my dignity.

Not to mention going out in public in a wetsuit! That is sheer horror as it hides absolutely nothing.

But we're getting off the subject here. That is a very commendable goal, Naji. I wish you luck and I know you will have an impact. For one thing, you are providing an excellent role model. And that in itself is very rewarding.
Old 03-17-2009

shuumai

My son wears a rash guard when he has a choice. A sleeveless style.

I saw a woman wearing some cover-up strategies. She took off her skirt and I was wondering why she felt a need to cover up to begin with. Maybe it was just about comfort and fashion. She looked fine to me. But, yeah, I get that women see their own bodies differently and not all women want to be stared at.
Old 03-17-2009

Rhoda

All sports need a big grass-roots critical mass at the base to produce a few champions at the top. The best way to eventually produce a Cullen Jones (or his female equivalent) is to start with hundreds of youngsters in swim classes and accept that the vast majority of them will not become elite athletes. But maybe some will become life-long swimmers, or even masters competitors.
As to the body image thing, that goes away with time, I think. All those silly magazine articles about "Get A Bikini Body In Just Six Weeks!" don't help, they give the notion that you have to be perfect to even think about putting on a swimsuit. After seeing my imperfect self in a swimsuit some 150-200 mornings a year for 10 years, the novelty and self-consciousness have worn off.
Old 03-18-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda View Post
As to the body image thing, that goes away with time, I think. All those silly magazine articles about "Get A Bikini Body In Just Six Weeks!" don't help, they give the notion that you have to be perfect to even think about putting on a swimsuit. After seeing my imperfect self in a swimsuit some 150-200 mornings a year for 10 years, the novelty and self-consciousness have worn off.
I have say my suit choices are becoming more daring over time. First I had hugely baggy trunks. Then I switched to jammers. Taking that a little further, I switched to square-legs. Now I will try jammers again, but in red!

Anyway, maybe Naj would be happy to hear about the girl I shared a lane with a few times. While the white board was showing the number of days to "states," I shared a lane with a little African-American girl clearly gearing up for something. She seemed to enjoy her practice and...let's just say I wouldn't go head to head with her. hehe

Of the two pools I use, I've noticed a good number of African-American people at the first pool while I've seen relatively few at the second pool. The first pool is also less busy. (It's also nicer, better lit, warmer usually, and more clear than the second pool.) I'd be happy to swim there more often if it were closer.
Old 03-18-2009

naj

Watch out Shuumai you might be seeing the future of US swimming next to you in that pool and then you can say, "Yeah I knew 'so and so' when we swam at the same pool."
Old 03-18-2009

shuumai

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Watch out Shuumai you might be seeing the future of US swimming next to you in that pool and then you can say, "Yeah I knew 'so and so' when we swam at the same pool."
Next time I will get pictures and autographs, just in case. hehe