Total Immersion Forums  

Go Back   Total Immersion Forums > Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009

don h
Default thanks terry

terry,

thanks for your response on this kicking issue. your insights and swimming are very much appreciated here in farmington, mo.

don h
Old 02-12-2009

asbarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by don h View Post
terry,

thanks for your response on this kicking issue. your insights and swimming are very much appreciated here in farmington, mo.

don h
Amen. I've been struggling to understand 2BK timing and technique. This chapter made it clear and I've been able to translate it to the water over the last week. I agree - Thanks.
Old 02-12-2009

madvet
Default Too much downhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvet View Post
One thing I have tried to develop with my kick is to try to somewhat push the water "back" with my leg: by arching my leg somewhat on the upkick, ....
Actually, I kind of worked out my own "answer." Exaggerating the arching, by lifting the thigh, acts as a lever to drive the hip down in the water, which if it is overdone adversely affects balance. Secondary to that, I discovered that trying to keep all parts of the lower body right up at the surface puts tension in the hips and takes away power.

So, I have changed it so I still try to get some snap, but i also let my hips naturally be down in the water just a couple of inches, and my feet maybe 3 or 4 inches. Trying to deliberately lift the hips was my attempt at "downhill swimming."

I notice that the "downhill swimming" concept has been de-emphasized lately. Is this the reason?
Old 02-13-2009

ny1301

Terry, thanks for replying the question. Your comments on the 'second phase of stroke' gives me something more to think about, and I am sure I could benefit from it. Btw, when will this new book be printed?
Old 06-04-2009

LilBeav

It was almost a month ago when I first read this thread and began to learn the 2BK. The introduction of the 2BK has had hidden benefits for me. Maybe others have found the same. Now when I swim whole stroke, I am instantly aware when I have become unbalanced as I will add a little flutter when I would normally have quiet feet. This happens most frequently when I am weak side breathing, but also happens if I am not relaxing into the water as well during other moments of imbalance. Any thoughts/ comments?